What octahedral site is preferred by carbon?

• I
  • Thread starter potatowhisperer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon
In summary, in steel made with ferrite (fe with bcc), there are tetrahedral and octahedral sites available for carbon to occupy. While carbon tends to prefer octahedral sites, there are two types of them: on face centers and on edge centers. It is unclear if carbon prefers one over the other, but a reference suggests that edge sites may be preferred due to deformations. However, further research is needed to confirm this. The provided PowerPoint presentation explains the mechanisms behind this preference and clarifies that there is no difference between face centers and edge centers for octahedral voids.
potatowhisperer
in steel made with ferrite ( fe with bcc ) , we have tetrahedral and octahedral sites that the carbon can occupy , we know that carbon likes to occupy octahedral sites , but there are two kinds of them .
1 : on face centers , and 2 : on edge centers .
does carbon prefer one of them ? or does it occupy both of them ?

Physics news on Phys.org
potatowhisperer said:
does carbon prefer one of them ? or does it occupy both of them ?

i have seen this discussion in detail and post you a reference -
it says that carbon prefers the site which has deformations and edge sites may be preferred but i will see it and cofirm.

drvrm said:
i have seen this discussion in detail and post you a reference -

[PPT]voids_in_crystals.ppt - IITK - Indian Institute of Technology ...
home.iitk.ac.in/~anandh/E-book/voids_in_crystals.ppt
... the atoms may be present both in the lattice and interstitial sites (e.g. B in steel). ... Later on we will talk about tetrahedral and octahedral voids in FCC, BCC ...

the above site gives youu a detail picture of mechanisms.

sorry for the late reply , thank you so much for answering , it was strangely hard to find anything about it . the ppt does explain clearly why carbon prefers octa voids over tetra voids , it doesn t specify which octa void though , so i will just take it as there is no difference between the face centers and edge centers.

Related to What octahedral site is preferred by carbon?

1. What is an octahedral site?

An octahedral site is a specific arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice, where six atoms are arranged at the corners of an imaginary octahedron.

2. Why is carbon found in octahedral sites?

Carbon is a small atom with a relatively large radius, making it a good fit for the octahedral site. Additionally, its electronic structure allows it to bond easily with other atoms in the crystal lattice.

3. Are all octahedral sites the same?

No, octahedral sites can vary in size and shape depending on the crystal structure they are found in. However, they all have six atoms arranged in a similar manner.

4. Can carbon occupy other types of sites?

Yes, carbon can also occupy tetrahedral and trigonal sites depending on the crystal structure. However, the octahedral site is the most preferred for carbon due to its size and bonding capabilities.

5. How does the preference for octahedral sites affect the properties of carbon-containing crystals?

The preference for octahedral sites allows for the formation of strong and stable bonds between carbon atoms and other atoms in the crystal lattice. This can affect the physical and chemical properties of the crystal, such as hardness, electrical conductivity, and chemical reactivity.