What motivated Einstein to develop GR?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, Einstein discovered the theory of relativity while trying to fix the apparent constancy of the speed of light. He believed that all of the laws of physics could be explained in SR, except for gravity. He also discovered that a person in an inertial frame of reference would not observe a gravitational field.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Original motivations for GR??

I'm sitting here and wondering what was Einstein trying to do when he "discovered" GR?

For instance, the biggest motivation for SR was the apparent constancy of the speed of light. That's the problem he was trying to fix.

What was it for GR? Was it just the tiny precession thingy of Mercury? Was looking for a new theory of gravitation, or something else?

How did it all unfold?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your interest is historical, not physical, it would be misleading to try to summarize Einstein's motivations, which were complex, without even discussing the historical context!

quasar987 said:
How did it all unfold?

Try these books:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/HTML/reading.html#hist

Last edited by a moderator:
I would accept a misleading summary. o:)

(Btw, what is in your eye the distinction btw the historical and the physical interest one can have in this question?)

quasar987 said:
I would accept a misleading summary.

Then Wikipedia is just what you want.

quasar987 said:
(Btw, what is in your eye the distinction btw the historical and the physical interest one can have in this question?)

Why do you ask? I mean, how curious are you? I don't think any of this is easy to explain in a few words. At the same time, it is not clear to me that it is worth taking the time to discuss these issues properly.

Last edited:
Ok well thanks anyway.

quasar987 said:
What was it for GR? Was it just the tiny precession thingy of Mercury? Was looking for a new theory of gravitation, or something else?

I always thought it was to find a relativistically correct theory of gravitation. But I might be very wrong...

quasar987 said:
I'm sitting here and wondering what was Einstein trying to do when he "discovered" GR?

For instance, the biggest motivation for SR was the apparent constancy of the speed of light. That's the problem he was trying to fix.

How did it all unfold?
In 1907 Johannes Stark asked Einstein to write a monograph on SR for the jorunal Jahr-buch der Radioaktivitat. During the time he was writring this article Einstein came to see that all the laws of physics except for gravity could be dealt with in sr. So he started to search for a reason why this was so. Einstein's break through in this problem came as he was sitting in his patent office thinking about this problem it suddenly occurred to him that if a person were to jump off of a roof then while he was in free-fall he would not detect the force of gravity anywhere near him. It was like he was in an inertial frame. I guess is it was shortly after that that he reversed the problem and figured out that a person who changes from an inertial frame of reference to a uniformly accelerating one would observer a uniform gravitational field "produced" in this new set of accelerating coordinate system. The work wento on fropm there.

You can find more details on Einstein's thoughts in the Physics Today article in the August 1982 Edition. This is a translation of an address he was to give in 1922 in Japan
(when he was supposed to be in Stockholm getting his Nobel Prize). I permanently placed this article on my website. Go to

www.geocities.com/physics_world

Then scroll down to you see "How I created the theory of relativity." I tried to direct link it but it didn't work. GR has a long and complicated history and cannot be placed in a post. To get more than this brief look you'd have to by a book such as that by Pais on Einstein's life and work.

Enjoy!

Pete

Last edited:

The motivation for GR is not just the speed of light. In the 1905 paper Einstein considered the frames of reference which were moving with a uniform velocity viz. unaccelerated systems and revolutionized physics by dismissing the absolute nature of space and time.The GR is a logical extension for the generalizing for uniformly accelerating reference frames starting with the principle of equivalence and preserving the fundamental laws of physics.

quasar987 said:

How did it all unfold?
Try Einstein's own writings, including his original GR paper. He makes it pretty clear what his motivations were. Primarily, he was dissatisfied with the preferential treatment given to inertial reference frames in SR.

Here is a link to his 1916 GR intro (English translation): http://hem.bredband.net/b153434/Works/Einstein.htm

Al

Last edited by a moderator:

quasar987 said:

What was it for GR?

The same thing actually. Since light rays are bend by gravitation, the "inner part" of the beam travels a shorter distance then the "outer part" in the same time. The only way for both parts to have the same local velocity, is to assume different local time rates in a gravitational field. But this distortion of the time dimension gives you only half of the bending effect. The rest and the orbit precessions are explained by the spatial distortion.

Related to What motivated Einstein to develop GR?

What is the original motivation for General Relativity (GR)?

The original motivation for GR was to provide a theory that could explain the behavior of gravity at a large scale, specifically in the presence of massive bodies such as planets and stars.

Who developed the theory of General Relativity?

Albert Einstein is credited with developing the theory of General Relativity in 1915. However, he built upon the work of other scientists such as Isaac Newton, Hendrik Lorentz, and Henri Poincaré.

What are the main principles of General Relativity?

The main principles of General Relativity are the principle of equivalence, which states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration, and the principle of general covariance, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their frame of reference.

How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

General Relativity differs from Newton's theory of gravity in several ways. One of the main differences is that GR takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects, while Newton's theory does not. Additionally, GR predicts that gravity can affect the path of light, while Newton's theory does not.

What are some practical applications of General Relativity?

Some practical applications of General Relativity include the ability to accurately predict the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as in the case of GPS satellites. It also allows for the study of black holes and the understanding of the origins of the universe through the theory of the Big Bang.