What mistake did I make when solving for the equilibrium of a rigid object?

In summary, the conversation discusses a task involving computing the torque equation and choosing a point to consider the torque. The solution suggests removing vector arrows from forces and being mindful of their proper directions. Additionally, it is noted that choosing C as the point for torque calculation is not ideal. After realizing some incorrect assumptions and calculations, the correct result is obtained.
agusb1
Homework Statement
A vaulter holds a 29.4 N pole in equilibrium by exerting an upward force with her leading hand and a downward force with her trailing hand as shown in Figure (included below). Point C is the center of gravity of the pole.
Relevant Equations
Sum of forces in y direction = -D + U - Fg = 0
Here's the task:
1565493996948.png

My attempt at a solution (I choose C as an axis):
1565494651492.png

However, the textbook solution says D should be 58.8. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, please remove the vector arrows over your forces. Although the forces are vectors, what you are actually using in your computations is their magnitudes.

Second, the above tends to confuse you when you are writing down the torque equation. Be mindful of the proper directions of the torques.

Third, while not wrong, choosing C as the point for considering the torque is not ideal. A good choice would let you disregard one of your unknowns completely for that equation rather than having the known gravitational force provide no torque.

I see. I realize I had incorrectly assumed D and U had the same direction, but they have opposite ones. I also had incorrectly written -29.4 in the torque equation when it should had been +29.4. I re-calculated it and now I get the correct result. Thanks.

Likes berkeman

Related to What mistake did I make when solving for the equilibrium of a rigid object?

1. What is meant by a "rigid object in equilibrium"?

A rigid object in equilibrium refers to an object that is not moving and has no net force acting on it. This means that all the forces acting on the object are balanced and cancel each other out, resulting in a state of stability.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a rigid object?

Equilibrium is achieved in a rigid object when the sum of all the forces acting on the object is equal to zero and the sum of all the torques (rotational forces) acting on the object is also equal to zero. This can be achieved through the balancing of forces and moments, or by placing the object on a stable surface.

3. What are the conditions for a rigid object to be in equilibrium?

For a rigid object to be in equilibrium, there are two conditions that must be met: the sum of all the forces acting on the object must be equal to zero, and the sum of all the torques acting on the object must also be equal to zero. These conditions are necessary for the object to remain in a state of stability and not move or rotate.

4. What are the different types of equilibrium for a rigid object?

There are three types of equilibrium for a rigid object: stable, unstable, and neutral. In stable equilibrium, the object will return to its original position if it is slightly disturbed. In unstable equilibrium, the object will move away from its original position if it is slightly disturbed. In neutral equilibrium, the object will remain in its new position if it is slightly disturbed.

5. How is the concept of equilibrium important in the study of mechanics?

The concept of equilibrium is important in the study of mechanics because it helps us understand the forces and torques acting on objects and how they are balanced. This understanding is crucial in designing structures and machines that can remain stable and function properly. It also allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in different situations, such as in a state of equilibrium or when subjected to external forces.