What minimum speed must he be running?

In summary: The figure shows a long vine hanging vertically from a tree on one side of a 10m wide gorge. Tarzan runs up to the vine, hoping to grab it and swing over the gorge to land on the other side. The minimum speed he must be running to achieve this is shown by the black line. The potential energy (in green) and kinetic energy (in red) at the end of the swing are calculated using the equation KE=PV.
dflutedevil
A 17m--long vine hangs vertically from a tree on one side of a 10m--wide gorge, as shown in the figure. Tarzan runs up, hoping to grab the vine, swing over the gorge, and drop vertically off the vine to land on the other side. What minimum speed must he be running?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? You must show some work.

I just need some direction that's all..I'm not really good at this...I don't need the whole answer...just maybe some direction

Hi I'm new here, currently enrolled in Physics 101 (algebra based, but I'm in calc 3 right now) and I'm also curious as to how to start this problem. Thank you.

This is a conservation of energy problem. Figure out how high Tarzan is from the base of the gorge at the end of his swing to give you your potential energy, from which you can calculate the initial kinetic energy, and thus his velocity.

well i got how high he was when he landed but how does that relate to potential energy. isn't that U=mgy. i don't have his mass? is there something I'm missing?

You don't need the mass if you assume that all of the kinetic energy he had in the beginning is transferred into potential energy at the end of the swing.

I'm confused...I'm sorry. I guess I don't understand the concepts...so the h that i got = the potential and kinetic energy? but still the kinetic energy equation equals 1/2mv^2 which still requires mass?

But if [tex]KE_i=PE_f [/tex] and you expand out what kinetic energy and potential energy equal, do you need the mass?

so is this right then...
1/2v^2=h thus...
v=sqrt(2h)

Where did the g go?

uhm... don't know...so
v=sqrt(2gh)

Looks better, now the hard part is finding the height above the ground at the end of the swing.

see i just used the triangle to find the hypotenuse and then subtracted 17 from that. is that how i was supposed to do it? or am i way off?

Is there some way you could either scan and upload the figure or possible explain the figure in words? I don't have enough information and I'm genuinely interested in the problem and solution.

Related to What minimum speed must he be running?

1. What is the significance of minimum speed in running?

Minimum speed is the speed at which an individual must run in order to maintain a steady pace and avoid slowing down or stopping. It is an important factor in running as it helps to improve endurance and overall performance.

2. How can one determine their minimum running speed?

The best way to determine your minimum running speed is by using a fitness tracker or a GPS watch that can track your pace and distance. By recording your runs and analyzing the data, you can determine your average minimum speed.

3. Is there a specific minimum speed for all runners?

No, the minimum speed can vary for each individual depending on their fitness level, age, and training regimen. It is important to listen to your body and adjust your minimum speed accordingly.

4. Why is it important to maintain a minimum speed while running?

Maintaining a minimum speed while running helps to improve cardiovascular fitness, build endurance, and prevent injury. It also helps to maintain a consistent pace and achieve your running goals.

5. Can minimum speed change over time?

Yes, minimum speed can change over time as an individual's fitness level and training regimen improves. It is important to continually challenge yourself and adjust your minimum speed as needed to continue seeing progress in your running performance.