What Metal is in the Unknown Sulfate Sample from the Precipitate Lab?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab involving an unknown sulfate powder and the use of barium nitrate and HCl to isolate the sulfate. The goal of the experiment is to determine the identity of the unknown substance. The mass of the original sulfate powder and the precipitate were measured, and the molar mass of element X can be calculated using stoichiometry. The possibility of multiple metal ions in the original sample is also mentioned.
sn1

Homework Statement

I have a percipitate lab.
We have an unknown sulfate powder that we mixed with water and then added Barium Nitrate in order to get the sulfate out of the mix. The entire sulfate, nitrate mixture was mixed with HCl to make the particles bigger and then it was heated for flocculation. I filtered out the percipitate and got it's mass, as well as the volume of the new nitrate solution. Right now the equation is looking like:

Homework Equations

XSO4 +Ba(NO3)2 --> XNO3 +BaSO4

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using mass percents

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't hurt if you told us what for you want to use these mass percentages.

In other words: you have described the procedure, but you have not explained what was the aim of the experiment.

Sorry! I need to find what the unknown substance is.

Do you know the mass of the original sulfate powder? With that information and the mass of the precipitate, you can calculate the molar mass of element X by simple stoichiometry.

hilbert2 said:
Do you know the mass of the original sulfate powder? With that information and the mass of the precipitate, you can calculate the molar mass of element X by simple stoichiometry.
Yes I have the mass of the original sulfate powder. I tried my best to get it as close to 1gram as possible, and there is about 24.88mL of the barium nitrate (because its concentration level we calculated how much we needed in order to make the best possible reaction). We then added 1 mL of HCl, and heated it in order to make the precipitate particles as large as possible.

Your idea is what I thought should be done, but got a bit confused because so much is happening within the lab. Thank you!

Also note that there may be more than one metal ion for every sulfate ion in the original sample, as in ##Na_2 SO_4##.

Have you established which metal your unknown sample contains?

Related to What Metal is in the Unknown Sulfate Sample from the Precipitate Lab?

1. What is a precipitate?

A precipitate is a solid substance that forms when two liquids are combined through a chemical reaction. It appears as a cloudy or solid material that settles at the bottom of the mixture.

2. How do you know if a precipitate has formed?

A precipitate can be identified by its appearance as a cloudy or solid material. Additionally, you can perform a simple test by adding a few drops of a clear acid, such as vinegar, to the mixture. If the precipitate dissolves, it is not a true precipitate.

3. What factors affect the formation of a precipitate?

The formation of a precipitate is influenced by the chemical properties of the reactants, such as their solubility and acidity. Temperature and concentration of the reactants can also affect the formation of a precipitate.

4. How do you separate a precipitate from a mixture?

The most common method for separating a precipitate from a mixture is through filtration. The mixture is poured through a filter, which traps the solid precipitate while allowing the liquid to pass through. The precipitate can then be collected and dried for further analysis.

5. Can a precipitate lab help identify unknown substances?

Yes, a precipitate lab can be a useful tool for identifying unknown substances. By combining the unknown substance with various reactants and observing the formation of a precipitate, the chemical properties of the unknown substance can be determined. This information can then be used to identify the substance.