What mathematical factors influence the shapes produced in cymatics experiments?

• Thread starter prepond
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, Cymatics is a scientific field that studies the effects of sound vibrations on matter, creating visible patterns and shapes in a medium. It works by using sound vibrations to produce standing waves and can be conducted using materials like water, sand, or non-newtonian fluids. To conduct your own experiment, you will need a source of sound, a medium, and a way to control the frequency and intensity of the sound. Cymatics has practical applications in music, art, and science, and is also used in the development of new technologies.
prepond
Hi all,

just I made my own Chladni Plate or CymaScope and have played a little bit with it:

I was curious and I made some tests with guitar:

but my question is: does enyone know why this is happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you mechanically excite a plate you will get standing waves in the plate. The dust will tend to collect in the nodes of the standing wave.

do you know some mathematical relation? I know frequency, what do I need more to "predict" this shapes?

Related to What mathematical factors influence the shapes produced in cymatics experiments?

1. What is Cymatics?

Cymatics is a branch of science that studies the effects of sound vibrations on matter. It involves creating visible patterns and shapes by using sound waves to vibrate a medium, such as a liquid or solid material.

2. How does Cymatics work?

Cymatics works by using sound vibrations to create standing waves in a medium, which then produce patterns and shapes. The vibrations cause the particles in the medium to move in specific patterns, creating the visual effects we see.

3. What materials can I use for a Cymatics experiment?

You can use a variety of materials for a Cymatics experiment, such as water, sand, salt, or even non-newtonian fluids like cornstarch and water. The key is to have a medium that can be easily manipulated by sound vibrations.

4. How can I conduct my own Cymatics experiment?

To conduct your own Cymatics experiment, you will need a source of sound, such as a speaker or tuning fork, a medium to vibrate, and a way to control the frequency and intensity of the sound. You can also use a video camera or smartphone to capture the patterns and shapes created.

5. What are the practical applications of Cymatics?

Cymatics has various applications in fields such as music, art, and science. It can help us understand the properties of different materials and how they respond to sound vibrations. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as ultrasound imaging and acoustic levitation.