What math class should I take next?

• Thread starter koh94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: You might also like a sequence likefall2567math classgeneral/statswinter21d125amath classgeneral/statsspring22b125bmath classgeneral/stats
koh94
My school is on a quarter system so the calc series is divided into 4 quarters. I'm currently in my 3rd quarter of calculus which covers:

Sequences, series, tests for convergence, Taylor expansions. Vector algebra, vector calculus, scalar and vector fields. Partial derivatives, total differentials. Applications to maximum and minimum problems in two or more variables. Applications to physical systems.

This may sound like a dumb question but, should I take the 4th quarter of calculus next called "Vector Analysis"? Is this Calc III? It covers:

Definite integrals over plane and solid regions in various coordinate systems. Line and surface integrals. Green's theorem, Stoke's theorem, divergence theorem
Or should I take a linear algebra course that covers:

Matrices and linear transformations, determinants, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, diagonalization, factorization.

When should I take elementary differential equations?

Finally after what course should I take Advanced Calculus? It covers:

Introduction to the rigorous treatment of abstract mathematical analysis. Proofs in mathematics, induction, sets, cardinality; real number system, theory of convergence of sequences

Which courses are good to take concurrently, and which ones are good to take before one another? I am a first year math/statistics major and could really use your help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is usually "calc 3", is split between the second half of the third quarter and the fourth quarter of calculus at your school, according to what you posted.
calculus 3 = multivariable = partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector analysis.

Since you're a math major you'll have to eventually take all of the courses you mentioned; physics students could probably skip advanced calc as it seems pretty rigorous.

Linear algebra and multivariable are closely related (from personal experience, multivariable makes a whole lot of more sense when you know linear algebra) I suggest you take both next quarter.

Are you at UC Davis?
Vector Analysis
Advanced Calculus
linear algebra
can be taken in any order.
elementary differential equations should be after linear algebra
Math students should take the other better linear algebra, the one you mention is for other majors
two things to keep in mind
1)Advanced Calculus and linear algebra are transition classes they are a bit different than earlier courses and may or may not require adjustment
2)the biggest issue is scheduling, courses are not offered every term so you need a plan ahead so future classes are neither delayed nor bunched up

This looks a lot like UCD math sequence. If so, then what lurflurf says is right. You can take that LA course, but when you take the one for majors it will only count for one unit and will be very similar with more theory it appears.

Yes, I do attend UC Davis :smile:

The other linear algebra class is called Modern Linear Algebra, and I understand it's proof-based. It covers:

Rigorous treatment of linear algebra; topics include vector spaces, bases and dimensions, orthogonal projections, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, similarity transformations, singular value decomposition and positive definiteness

I have never taken a proof based math class before, so should I take Advanced Calculus before taking this class?

Should I take the elementary differential equation class before modern linear algebra?

So then I'll probably take multivariable calculus with the elementary differential equations class, if offered in the same quarter, and then take advanced calculus. Then I should probably take modern linear algebra, right?

You say you're a math major. If you haven't taken a proof based math course yet then you've never seen math, meaning math as a mathematician thinks of it. What you've seen is math as a tool, as a scientist or engineer thinks of it.

So if you are actually thinking of yourself as a math major, you should take a proof based math class as soon as possible. You should self study something that's mathy and rigorous as soon as you can: maybe number theory or logic and set theory. Figure out if you like it, if you're good at it. Do it over the summer.

If proofs worry you
Advanced Calculus
Modern Linear Algebra
Introduction to Abstract Mathematics (a really bad class)
Convex Geometry
Number Theory
Euclidean Geometry
Combinatorics
are the transitions classes. These involve proofs, but are a (hopefully) gentle introduction. Modern linear algebra is probably good to take first, but it varies from person to person. You could take linear algebra and modern linear algebra, but it is probably not worth the trouble. Elementary differential equations uses linear algebra so unless you know some from somewhere take either linear algebra class first. So again take
Vector Analysis
Advanced Calculus
modern linear algebra
in any order
elementary differential equations after some linear algebra

I take it you are talking about fall?
I do not know where you are at in statistics and general ed, but you want something like

fall
other math class
general/stats
winter
21d
125a
other math class
general/stats
spring
22b
125b
other math class
general/stats

It would be fine also to push 125 to third year (some people find it hard), but it might jam you up or limit your options. Some people like to not take 125 and 150 at the same time.

Thank you for your input!

Last edited:

Related to What math class should I take next?

What math class should I take next?

This is a common question among students who are planning their schedule for the upcoming semester. The answer will depend on your current level of math proficiency and your future academic or career goals.

1. Should I take the next level of the same math class?

If you have successfully completed the previous math class and feel comfortable with the material, it may be a good idea to continue to the next level. This will help you build upon your existing knowledge and prepare you for more advanced courses.

2. What math class is required for my major?

It is important to check with your academic advisor or refer to your degree requirements to determine which math class is required for your major. Some majors may have specific math courses that are mandatory, while others may have a range of options to choose from.

3. Can I skip a math class?

If you have a strong foundation in math and have completed advanced math courses in high school, you may be able to skip a class with the approval of your academic advisor. However, it is important to consider the potential challenges of jumping ahead and make sure you are prepared for the higher level material.

4. Do I need to take a math class if it is not required for my major?

Even if a math class is not required for your major, it is still beneficial to have a strong understanding of math. Many careers and fields of study require quantitative skills, and having a solid foundation in math can open up more opportunities for you in the future.

5. How can I determine which math class is right for me?

If you are unsure of which math class to take next, consider talking to your math teacher or academic advisor. They can provide valuable insights and recommendations based on your current math abilities and future goals. You can also research the course descriptions and prerequisites to get a better understanding of the content and level of difficulty for each class.