What math areas I need to see for graduate-level physics?

In summary: I see.., thank you!, but what fields you are talking about? that fields that need advanced linear analysis, it's QFT right?Yes, QFT does indeed use advanced linear analysis. But keep in mind that QFT is a graduate-level subject, so it's not something you need to worry about right now. Focus on building a strong foundation in math and physics at the undergraduate level first. Linear algebra is important for many areas of physics, not just QFT.
Andreol263
I'm have already learn some of Differential,Integral,Multivariable Calculus(with Vector Calculus to), Ordinary Differential Equations, and something in PDEs(i know solve some by the Method of Separation of Variables:woot:), so what should i need to learn in math for areas like Eletromagnetism, Quantum Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Astrophysics, General Relativity grad-level physics? and if it's possible, recommend so book for self-study, I'm not in the university yet :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Andreol263 said:
I'm have already learn some of Differential,Integral,Multivariable Calculus(with Vector Calculus to), Ordinary Differential Equations, and something in PDEs(i know solve some by the Method of Separation of Variables:woot:), so what should i need to learn in math for areas like Eletromagnetism, Quantum Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Astrophysics, General Relativity grad-level physics? and if it's possible, recommend so book for self-study, I'm not in the university yet :frown:

For the stuff you're interested in from a mathematical standpoint? Get Mary's Boas book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences", one in linear algebra as Dr. Courtney suggests (there's a good book by Gilbert Strang), and a book in differential geometry. In lieu of that, just get books in the physics subjects you're interested in. Most books in, say, GR do the math justice. Or so I'm told. I didn't understand some (cough..most) of the stuff, myself.

That said you seem to be interested in a wide breadth of physics, you might to narrow some of that energy down into one field while you self study. Why aren't you in university? You could just obtain syllabuses from courses you plan to later attend and self study the material. It'll make the actual course easier.

Andreol263 said:
, I'm not in the university yet :frown:

Does this mean you haven't even started your undergraduate (bachelor's degree) yet? And you're already worried about graduate school? If so, I suggest you take a deep breath and slow down a bit. :smile:

During my first year of grad school, the math topic I most regretted not having studied as an undergraduate was calculus of complex variables. In my grad school E&M course, our professor liked to use conformal mapping to solve electrostatics problems.

Thank you all!, and yeah, i don't even started a undergraduate course., i 'm high-school right now, so linear algebra, matematical methods and diferential geometry is the only thing necessary to these fields?? What about Tensor Calculus, Complex Analysis?? I've seen many aplications of tensors in some fields...

Andreol263 said:
Thank you all!, and yeah, i don't even started a undergraduate course., i 'm high-school right now, so linear algebra, matematical methods and diferential geometry is the only thing necessary to these fields?? What about Tensor Calculus, Complex Analysis?? I've seen many aplications of tensors in some fields...

Hey Andreol,

Why're you worried about graduate courses if you're still in high school?

For the most part you'll learn what you need to know in the physics courses themselves, or when taking a course like mathematical methods. Even my recommendations aren't necessary. Most physics graduates entering grad school having taken the basic calculus series, linear algebra, and ODE and/or PDE's. It's certainly possible to study further in things like topology, differential geometry, complex analysis, numerical analysis, and so on from a mathematical standpoint, but isn't in itself required.

Take your example of tensors, I was very worried about them before taking GR. I wasted my time and money buying tensor study material and books on the topic. When I actually took GR I realized what a mistake it was. The course itself was more than adequate.

You're still in high school, keep your eye on the horizon and study things you'll end up taking for your bachelors first. If you haven't already, look at the courses offered by the universities you'd like to attend and build a schedule. Then you can start studying those courses to gain familiarity/better understanding to make your life easier when you take those courses.

I Think i will learn Linear Algebra by the MIT OCW Courses, cause that Strang's Book is friendly and use easy math, but it's confusing, i REALLY need to read that book and follow the course in MITOCW, or only by the book Boas' Mathematical Methods i can learn what's is necessary in the field of Linear Algebra?

Andreol263 said:
I Think i will learn Linear Algebra by the MIT OCW Courses, cause that Strang's Book is friendly and use easy math, but it's confusing, i REALLY need to read that book and follow the course in MITOCW, or only by the book Boas' Mathematical Methods i can learn what's is necessary in the field of Linear Algebra?

It really depends on what kind of physics you'll end up doing. But I think that the vast majority of physicist will find Boas sufficient. It's a good introduction too, so if you ever need something more, you'll be able to pick that up quickly.

Likes Student100
I see.., thank you!, but what fields you are talking about? that fields that need advanced linear analysis, it's QFT right?

Related to What math areas I need to see for graduate-level physics?

1. What level of math do I need to have for graduate-level physics?

At the very minimum, you should have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These are the most commonly used mathematical tools in physics. However, depending on the specific field of physics you plan to study, you may also need knowledge of advanced topics such as complex analysis, group theory, and partial differential equations.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to succeed in graduate-level physics?

While a strong foundation in math is certainly beneficial, it is not the only factor that determines success in graduate-level physics. Other important qualities include critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong understanding of fundamental physical concepts. Additionally, many graduate programs offer math courses specifically designed for physics students to help bridge any gaps in their mathematical knowledge.

3. Can I learn the necessary math during my graduate studies?

In most cases, graduate programs in physics assume that students already have a solid understanding of the required math. Therefore, it is not recommended to rely solely on your graduate studies to learn the necessary math. It is important to have a strong foundation in math before beginning graduate-level physics courses, as this will allow you to better understand and apply the concepts being taught.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics if I struggle with math?

While a strong foundation in math is important for success in graduate-level physics, struggling with math does not necessarily mean you cannot pursue a graduate degree in physics. Many universities offer resources such as tutoring and study groups to help students improve their math skills. Additionally, some graduate programs may offer remedial math courses to help students catch up on any gaps in their mathematical knowledge.

5. How can I determine if I have the necessary math background for graduate-level physics?

The best way to determine if you have the necessary math background for graduate-level physics is to review the course requirements for the graduate program you are interested in. Look for any specific math courses or topics that are required or recommended, and assess your own knowledge in those areas. You can also speak with a physics advisor or current graduate students to get a better understanding of the math requirements for the program.