What materials do we need to measure acceleration due to gravity?

In summary, the conversation is about a student in AP Physics who is struggling with a lab that requires them to find the acceleration due to gravity using specific materials. The student and their group have been using a pulley, string, 2 kg weights, a steel frame, and measurement devices to measure the distance and speed of the falling weight. However, their initial formula gave them an incorrect answer and they are now asking for assistance.
Patrick Bateman
Hello, I am a student in AP Physics and we have hit a wall for one of our labs. My group has been tasked with finding "little g" otherwise known as acceleration due to gravity. We HAVE to use the following materials in our experiment.

-a pulley
-string
-2 masses (kg weights)
-a steel frame
-measurement and recording devices

We suspended the two weights on opposite sides of the pulley and we are measuring how far and fast the heavier mass falls. We thought we had the correct possible formula but it have us a wrong answer. We have to assume that we don't know g before hand. Here is a picture of our formula.

Please help me out.

Attachments

• IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture is unreadable. Please type out the equations, and define your variables.

Never mind. I deduced the answer. Thank you for your response though.

Related to What materials do we need to measure acceleration due to gravity?

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity, denoted by the symbol g, is the acceleration experienced by an object due to the gravitational force of the Earth. It is a constant value of approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) near the Earth's surface.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

The acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = G * (mE / rE²), where G is the universal gravitational constant, mE is the mass of the Earth, and rE is the distance between the object and the center of the Earth.

3. Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can vary on different planets depending on their mass and radius. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the Moon is approximately 1.6 m/s², while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s².

4. How does altitude affect acceleration due to gravity?

As altitude increases, the distance between an object and the center of the Earth also increases. This results in a decrease in the acceleration due to gravity. However, this effect is very small and can be neglected for small changes in altitude.

5. What is the significance of acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is a fundamental constant in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects on Earth. It is also essential in fields such as astronomy, where it helps in predicting the motion of celestial bodies and in space exploration.