What material can act as electron sponge?

In summary: Conductivity in metals, free electrons and Drude's model. It will help to get a more realistic picture of the behavior of conductors.If an flying electron impinge material, it seems the energetic electron will reflect, even cause X-ray if too much kinetic energy.My imagined application is low energy (<1eV or < 593km/s) electron beam impinging material. I wish the electrons not scattering too far away after impingement.
kiwaho
We know Earth grounding is huge electron sink. But the Earth is not portable, what material can absorb lots of electron inside or on surface? Maybe the supercapacitors already use it as its cathode?
and what material dislike electron and push electron away?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
kiwaho said:
Maybe the supercapacitors already use it as its cathode?

do you understand how capacitors work ?

davenn said:
do you understand how capacitors work ?
not sure. abstractly like electron sponge to absorb electron as many as possible?

In dry day, some stuff with high voltage electrostatic, and often shock me. Is the shocking voltage positive or negative to ground? or it accumulate surplus electrons or lost too many electrons and become positive charged?

negative oxygen ion regularly only 2 electrons surplus, can some atom or molecule negative ion very high e.g.10000 electrons surplus?
I guess silicon or silicon oxide can be that, because the Earth is a huge electron sponge, many equipment have grounding wires.

I have no idea what you mean by "electron sponge" in terms of voltages and currents. However, the Earth's capacitance is less than 1 farad, and it is pretty easy to buy 1 farad capacitors.

Dale said:
I have no idea what you mean by "electron sponge" in terms of voltages and currents. However, the Earth's capacitance is less than 1 farad, and it is pretty easy to buy 1 farad capacitors.
the more the 'sponge' absorb electron, the more the voltage differential.
Earth only 1F? unbelievable! Our Earth total negative charge far more than positive charge, this attributes to the great electron reservoir of earth!

kiwaho said:
Earth only 1F? unbelievable!
See the section on self capacitance.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance

kiwaho said:
Our Earth total negative charge far more than positive charge, this attributes to the great electron reservoir of earth!
It has a charge around 500 kC and a voltage around 300 kV between the surface and the atmosphere. So about 1 F, rounded off.

kiwaho said:
not sure. abstractly like electron sponge to absorb electron as many as possible?

there is no such thing as a an electron sponge

no, a capacitor doesn't work like that ... for every electron that goes onto one plate of the capacitor, one must come off the other plate
The net charge on a capacitor therefore remains at zero. That is, for every negative charge on one plate, there is an equal number of
of positive charges on the other plate

kiwaho said:
In dry day, some stuff with high voltage electrostatic, and often shock me. Is the shocking voltage positive or negative to ground? or it accumulate surplus electrons or lost too many electrons and become positive charged?

it depends on the material used to generate the charge separation

davenn said:
there is no such thing as a an electron sponge

no, a capacitor doesn't work like that ... for every electron that goes onto one plate of the capacitor, one must come off the other plate
The net charge on a capacitor therefore remains at zero. That is, for every negative charge on one plate, there is an equal number of
of positive charges on the other plate
That means that one plate of capacitor "sponges" or draws electrons from the opposite plate, it complies with my concept.
If both plates made of copper, do you mean all atoms in one plate can have Cu-29 negative ions, and another plate Cu+29 positive ions?
Cu atom has 29 electrons.

davenn said:
it depends on the material used to generate the charge separation
Can metal material such as copper collect electrons to form negative electrostatic?

kiwaho said:
That means that one plate of capacitor "sponges" or draws electrons from the opposite plate, it complies with my concept.
If both plates made of copper, do you mean all atoms in one plate can have Cu-29 negative ions, and another plate Cu+29 positive ions?
Cu atom has 29 electrons.
No, it doesn't. The electrons go to negative plate because the field of the battery or power supply forces them there. It has nothing to do with some special "sponge" quality of the plate.

Copper has one free electron per atom. The ionic cores have a +1 charge in both plates. One of them just have more free electrons than the other one.
You may be interested to read a little about conductivity in metals, free electrons and Drude's model. It will help to get a more realistic picture of the behavior of conductors.

If an flying electron impinge material, it seems the energetic electron will reflect, even cause X-ray if too much kinetic energy.
My imagined application is low energy (<1eV or < 593km/s) electron beam impinging material. I wish the electrons not scattering too far away after impingement.
I need find a material that can attain electrons in a very close zone as much as possible, just like cotton cloud.

kiwaho said:
If an flying electron impinge material, it seems the energetic electron will reflect, even cause X-ray if too much kinetic energy.
My imagined application is low energy (<1eV or < 593km/s) electron beam impinging material. I wish the electrons not scattering too far away after impingement.
I need find a material that can attain electrons in a very close zone as much as possible, just like cotton cloud.

I find your whole thread to be very confusing, especially based on what you want to do (it is still very vague), and based on what I think you know (or don't know).

If all you want is a material that can continually absorbs incoming electrons, then why not connect a metal plate to ground and be done with it? What is the issue here that prevents you from doing that? If the electrons have very low energy and very close to the plate, then the image charge alone is sufficient to pull the electrons into the grounded, metal plate!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I find your whole thread to be very confusing, especially based on what you want to do (it is still very vague), and based on what I think you know (or don't know).

If all you want is a material that can continually absorbs incoming electrons, then why not connect a metal plate to ground and be done with it? What is the issue here that prevents you from doing that? If the electrons have very low energy and very close to the plate, then the image charge alone is sufficient to pull the electrons into the grounded, metal plate!

Zz.
grounding good, but not portable. is it possible to collect 1kg pure "electron gas", and soak inside or on surface of special very small size "sponge"?
I know Dr. Kenth Shoulders can produce 1 mol electrons cluster in 1 micron size.

kiwaho said:
grounding good, but not portable. is it possible to collect 1kg pure "electron gas", and soak inside or on surface of special very small size "sponge"?
I know Dr. Kenth Shoulders can produce 1 mol electrons cluster in 1 micron size.

You bring that metal plate to another location, ground it, and voila! It's portable!

Do you see why your requirements here are still rather vague? You appear to suddenly realize what you want, or you don't know what you want, or you're just revealing bits and pieces at a time on purpose, or you're just making things up as you go along. You certainly didn't state anything about it being "portable", or how portable it has to be, in your very first post.

Zz.

Maybe if you estimate the repulsion energy of these 1 kg of electrons confined in a "very small" volume you will figure out the answer yourself. :smile:
See here some discussion about the effect of unbalanced charges. He is talking about 1% extra electrons.
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_01.html
You are asking about 1 kg of electrons which is about 1030 electrons extra on a piece of matter which naturally may contain 1025-1026 units of charge (both positive and negative).

1 mol electrons = 1/1836 gram mass, how Ken Shoulders boast that electron cluster? that means the distance between electrons is circa 12fm (femtometers).

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
I did mention portable in my initial post.
You know, if apple jelly falls to stove ash, then it will sponge lots of ash after pick up. My intuitive thought is just like that, a material to attract as much as possible electron "ash".

Now, I know basic idea: lookup the table of atom and molecule electron affinity. The bigger, the better.
Carnauba wax have very high electron affinity, so it is a good choice.
Some other electrets may also work.

nasu said:
Maybe if you estimate the repulsion energy of these 1 kg of electrons confined in a "very small" volume you will figure out the answer yourself. :smile:
See here some discussion about the effect of unbalanced charges. He is talking about 1% extra electrons.
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_01.html
You are asking about 1 kg of electrons which is about 1030 electrons extra on a piece of matter which naturally may contain 1025-1026 units of charge (both positive and negative).
As per Earth science, our Earth only have unbalanced half million Coulombs free electron hide underground, that means 5 mols (1 mol = the Avogadro # 6.022*10^23) free electrons, so less?

What is the relevance of Earth science? Would you consider Earth as a "very small" object?

Related to What material can act as electron sponge?

What material can act as electron sponge?

The search for materials that can act as an "electron sponge" is ongoing in the field of materials science. Some of the most frequently asked questions about this topic include:

1. What is an "electron sponge"?

An "electron sponge" refers to a material that has the ability to absorb and store excess electrons. This can be useful in various applications, such as in energy storage devices.

2. What properties make a material a good "electron sponge"?

A material that can act as an "electron sponge" typically has a high electrical conductivity, a large surface area, and the ability to undergo reversible redox reactions (i.e. gain and lose electrons).

3. Are there any naturally occurring materials that can act as "electron sponges"?

Yes, there are some naturally occurring materials that have "electron sponge" properties. Examples include graphene, carbon nanotubes, and some types of clay minerals.

4. Can any synthetic materials be designed to act as "electron sponges"?

Yes, researchers are exploring the development of new synthetic materials that can act as "electron sponges". This involves manipulating the structure and composition of materials at the nanoscale to enhance their electron storage capabilities.

5. What are the potential applications of "electron sponge" materials?

One potential application of "electron sponge" materials is in the development of high-capacity energy storage devices, such as batteries and supercapacitors. They could also have applications in catalysis and sensing technologies.