What Makes Vibrations So Common in Nature?

• A
  • Thread starter larsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibrations
In summary: This is due to the ubiquitousness of inverse square laws. In summary, vibrations are a common occurrence in nature due to the presence of restoring forces and the principles of symmetry and least action. These vibrations can be modeled as a superposition of sine and cosine components, making them prevalent in many natural phenomena. They also occur due to the resonance and transfer of energy between mass and springiness in mechanical systems and inductance and capacitance in electrical systems.
larsa
Vibrations are everywhere and the question is if there is some fundamental reason for this. Per example, symmetries and the least action principle are behind the conservation laws. What is the reason that vibrations are so common?

Physics news on Phys.org
larsa said:
Vibrations are everywhere and the question is if there is some fundamental reason for this. Per example, symmetries and the least action principle are behind the conservation laws. What is the reason that vibrations are so common?

Because the temperature around you are not at absolute zero.

Zz.

Likes larsa
ZapperZ said:
Because the temperature around you are not at absolute zero.

Zz.
I don"t mean vibrations of atoms. I mean sound propagation, water waves etc

larsa said:
I don"t mean vibrations of atoms. I mean sound propagation, water waves etc

Then you should have been more explicit in the very beginning.

These "sound propagation, water waves, etc..." are not THAT common. These are just "physical waves". How many ARE there? They are certainly not "everywhere" in terms of different sources that generate these things.

Intrinsic vibrations, on the other hand, ARE almost everywhere.

Zz.

Likes larsa
ZapperZ said:
Then you should have been more explicit in the very beginning.

These "sound propagation, water waves, etc..." are not THAT common. These are just "physical waves". How many ARE there? They are certainly not "everywhere" in terms of different sources that generate these things.

Intrinsic vibrations, on the other hand, ARE almost everywhere.

Zz.
I admit my question is badly written . I wanted to say that harmonic oscillators can describe nature. I have read that this is because strength of fields weaken with inverse square. Is this intuition correct? ( english is not my mother tongue, i apologize )

At the risk of being stupid...

If you have particles and approximate conservation of kinetic energy then there are two general possibilities. Either you have particles scattering to the winds or you have particles staying in clumps. If you have particles staying in clumps then the kinetic energy will manifest as "vibrations". No need for an inverse square principle.

Edit: Rigid rotational motion or linear motion would also be possible, I suppose.

Likes larsa
jbriggs444 said:
At the risk of being stupid...

If you have particles and approximate conservation of kinetic energy then there are two general possibilities. Either you have particles scattering to the winds or you have particles staying in clumps. If you have particles staying in clumps then the kinetic energy will manifest as "vibrations". No need for an inverse square principle.

Edit: Rigid rotational motion or linear motion would also be possible, I suppose.
So you say that conservation of energy dictates that potential and kinetic energy must be interchanged?

I think that I posted at cross-purposes. You are contemplating patterned vibrations and my response was not.

Likes larsa
jbriggs444 said:
I think that I posted at cross-purposes. You are contemplating patterned vibrations and my response was not.
All vibrations are patterned, please explain more your insight about kinetic energy

There is a branch in math where we can decompose any function(either periodic or non-periodic) into sine and cosine functions called Fourier analysis. The intuition which I understood was that any vibration can be modeled as superposition of sine and cosine componenets. Each sine and cosine component has an amplitude and frequency.
let f(x) be a function
then f(x)= summation of(sine terms)+summation of(cosine terms).
In physics, any natural phenomena can be modeled( if not, we should solve differential equation for the system) as a function and this function can be decomposed into vibration(sine and cosine) components.
So, thus we can definitely say that any phenomenon in nature can be modeled as vibrations.

Likes larsa
Harmonic oscillations occur if the potential energy increases quadratically with distance from an equilibrium position. If you expand any analytical potential as a taylor series to second order, you can do away with the constant and linear (by redefining the coordinate origin) terms, ending up with only the quadratic term which leads to harmonic oscillations. Often (e.g. in solid state physics) it seems to be easier to start from here and introduce higher order terms as perturbations.

larsa said:
I have read that this is because strength of fields weaken with inverse square. Is this intuition correct?
Not really. Above doesn't work for 1/r-potentials because of the pole at 0, i.e. because they are not analytic at r=0.

Likes larsa
larsa said:
It is because mechanical systems tend to have a resonance when energy can be stored either in their inertia, or mass, and their springiness. Energy can transfer between these two properties by changing between PE and KE. In many cases, objects have distributed mass and springiness, and then they behave like a transmission line. This also promotes vibrations, and can have numerous modes and frequencies of vibration. In the electrical world, conductors have inductance (involving magnetic fields) and capacitance (involving electric fields). Each of these can store energy, and vibrations occur as an exact parallel with the mechanical world. When a light switch is operated, vibrations occur in the wiring until things settle down.

Likes larsa
larsa said:
... is some fundamental reason for this.
I guess that periodic oscillation between known states is the most primitive kind of ongoing change or process that can occur in any system.

Likes larsa
Vibrations are so common because restoring forces which accompany equilibrium positions are so common.

Likes larsa

Related to What Makes Vibrations So Common in Nature?

1. Why do objects vibrate?

Objects vibrate because of the energy and forces acting on them. When an object is disturbed or has a force applied to it, the energy causes the object to move back and forth, creating vibrations.

2. How are vibrations created?

Vibrations are created when energy is transferred to an object through forces such as impact, friction, or tension. These forces cause the object to oscillate, or move back and forth, creating vibrations.

3. Why are vibrations so common?

Vibrations are common because they can be created by a variety of forces and can occur in many different types of objects. Additionally, vibrations are an important part of many natural processes and technological advancements.

4. What causes vibrations to stop?

Vibrations can stop when the energy causing them dissipates or when a counteracting force is applied to the object. For example, a guitar string will stop vibrating when the musician stops plucking it or when their finger presses down on the string, creating a counteracting force.

5. Why are vibrations important to study?

Vibrations are important to study because they can affect the behavior and performance of many different systems and structures. By understanding vibrations, scientists and engineers can design and improve technologies, such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles, to make them more stable and efficient.