What Makes Nano Gel Adhesive Tape So Sticky?

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a reusable silicone "nanogel" adhesive tape available on Amazon. The participants question the adhesive property of the tape and whether it is due to surface structure or material properties. They also wonder if the tape would work as a belt in an electrostatic machine and express the need for scientific evidence to support marketing claims.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
What is it? How does it work?
Summary: What is it? How does it work?

About this reusable silicone "nanogel" adhesive tape on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nano+gel+tape&tag=pfamazon01-20

[1] I'm wondering if the adhesive property is due to the surface structure, as in "nano" bumps or projections a la geckos' feet. Or maybe it's just a material property rather than the surface structure, something to do with its place in the electrostatic series?

[2] But if it's the latter, wouldn't it be limited in terms of sticking to materials from different ends of the series?

[3] If it's all about electrostatic activity, would this tape have any special advantage if used as the belt in an electrostatic machine?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you or we rely on marketing claims like those? The ad gives nothing I can find telling what the adhesive really is.

We would need to see a peer reviewed paper to know what the scientific evidence is for the mechanisms of a known adhesive.

I have ordered some. If I find that it works, maybe I'll revive this question (not mentioning any specific brand).

If it doesn't work, I'll post that as well, just for the record.

Maybe the moderators would consider moving this to the DIY forum or something.

Related to What Makes Nano Gel Adhesive Tape So Sticky?

1. What is nano gel adhesive tape made of?

Nano gel adhesive tape is made of a special type of gel called a hydrogel, which is composed of long chains of polymers. These polymers are cross-linked to create a strong and sticky adhesive.

2. How does nano gel adhesive tape stick to surfaces?

Nano gel adhesive tape utilizes intermolecular forces, such as van der Waals forces, to create a strong bond between the tape and the surface it is applied to. The adhesive properties are also enhanced by the small size of the gel particles, which allows for a larger surface area to interact with the surface.

3. Is nano gel adhesive tape reusable?

Yes, nano gel adhesive tape can be reused multiple times without losing its adhesive properties. It can be easily removed from surfaces without leaving any residue and can then be washed and dried before being used again.

4. Can nano gel adhesive tape be used on all surfaces?

Nano gel adhesive tape is designed to be used on a variety of surfaces, including glass, plastic, metal, and even rough or uneven surfaces. However, it may not stick as well to surfaces that are extremely porous or have a lot of texture.

5. Is nano gel adhesive tape safe to use?

Yes, nano gel adhesive tape is generally considered safe to use. It is non-toxic and does not contain any harmful chemicals. However, it is always important to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions and use caution when handling any adhesive product.