What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

In summary: However, because the coefficient of friction is only 0.25, the magnitude of the force the worker applies is only 9.8 Newtons.
blackandyello

Homework Statement

A factory worker pushes a 30.0-kg crate a distance of 4.5. along a level floor at constant speed by pushing horizontally on it. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.25. (a) What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

Homework Equations

summation of F x forces = 0

frictional force = coefficient of fric * normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, my solution is this

since the frictional force and the force of the worker in the x direction are equal,

fric force = 0.25 * 9.8 * 30 kg

fric force = 73.5 NEWTONS

so to find the magnitude of the force that the worker apply, we simply use trigonometric ratios.

cos (30) = 73.5 / r

r = 84.87 Newtons

my answer is 84.87, but the answer in the book is 99.2 Newtons. can you tell me where did i go wrong? tnx

Physics news on Phys.org
why cos(30) ? you never mentioned in your formulation of the problem that there are any angles other than 90 degree.

Hello, I am referreing to question 6.4a, (the one in black pen)

http://i55.tinypic.com/2e2md0z.jpg

tnx. I've tried my best but where did i go wrong? what's ur answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
blackandyello said:

Homework Statement

A factory worker pushes a 30.0-kg crate a distance of 4.5. along a level floor at constant speed by pushing horizontally on it. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.25. (a) What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

Homework Equations

summation of F x forces = 0

frictional force = coefficient of fric * normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, my solution is this

since the frictional force and the force of the worker in the x direction are equal,

fric force = 0.25 * 9.8 * 30 kg

fric force = 73.5 NEWTONS

so to find the magnitude of the force that the worker apply, we simply use trigonometric ratios.

cos (30) = 73.5 / r

r = 84.87 Newtons

my answer is 84.87, but the answer in the book is 99.2 Newtons. can you tell me where did i go wrong? tnx
This is confusing because you posted Question 6.3(a), but show your work for 6.4 which is different because of the 30 degree downward angle of the worker's force.

The normal force is not simply the weight of the crate here. To work through a problem like this, you need to:

1. Draw a diagram showing all forces on the crate. Remember that the force from the worker is at an angle, not along the horizontal as it was in problem 6.3.

2. Set up two equations, using ƩFx=0 and ƩFy=0. Remember to separate the worker's force into components using sin and cos.

See if you can at least get that far, and if you're still stuck then post your work here for us to look at.

Indeed, when the worker is pushing downwards, he is increasing the weight of the crate and so the friction force as well.

Related to What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

The magnitude of force required for a worker to perform a certain task depends on various factors such as the weight of the object being moved, the distance it needs to be moved, and the friction present between the object and the surface it is being moved on. The magnitude of force required can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What is the difference between magnitude of force and direction of force?

Magnitude of force refers to the amount of force being applied, while direction of force refers to the path or angle at which the force is being applied. Both magnitude and direction are important in determining the overall force required to perform a certain task.

How does the angle of force affect the required magnitude of force?

The angle of force affects the required magnitude of force by changing the direction in which the force is being applied. In some cases, an angled force may require a greater magnitude to produce the same amount of acceleration as a straight force. This can be calculated using vector addition and trigonometry.

What is the unit of measurement for force?

The unit of measurement for force is Newton (N) in the International System of Units (SI). Other commonly used units include pound-force (lbf) and kilogram-force (kgf). In some cases, the unit of measurement may also depend on the context, such as in aviation where force is measured in pounds (lbs).

How can the magnitude of force be increased?

The magnitude of force can be increased by increasing the mass of the object being moved, increasing the acceleration applied to the object, or reducing the friction present between the object and the surface it is being moved on. In some cases, using a lever or pulley system can also help increase the force applied.