What length of wire is needed for a 9V heating element to reach 400 C?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to construct a heating element powered by 9V that can reach a temperature of 400C or 1000C. The participants discuss the use of nichrome or kanthal A1 wire and the variables involved in determining the length and diameter of the wire needed. There is also mention of using a carbon arc or an induction heater as alternative approaches. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of providing clear and specific information in order to receive accurate responses.
MB876
I need to construct a heating element powered by 9V that needs to reach 400 C. How do I figure out what length of wire I will need. I will most likely be using nichrome or kanthal A1

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends what you need to heat.
There are standard tables which tell you the temperature a wire of given cross section (and therefore resistance) will reach for a certain current in still air, but if you used the same wire to try to heat water to 400C you are going to need more power.

i want to make a resistive heater,in which temperature reaches to 1000C.i want to know how long wire should i take,what should be its diameter and how many number of turns it should have to give max. efficiency??

i am again putting the same question.kindly answer as early as possible.
i want to make a resistive heater,in which temperature reaches to 1000C.i want to know how long wire should i take,what should be its diameter and how many number of turns it should have to give max. efficiency??

It is unlikely that a 9 volt battery has enough energy to do what you want.

There are infinite combinations of wire sizes and wire lengths that will reach 1000C.

You will get better responses if you are consistent.
Are you MB876 or Hassan Javed?
Is it 400C or 1000C

You will probably get better responses if you describe what you are trying to do, rather than "temperature reaches to 1000C".

im hassan javed.
i want to make a resistive furnace in which temperature of 1000C can obtain.
so i need info about different parameters involve like length and diameter of wire etc.

Do you require a heating element at 1000C or do you require the object you are processing to be at 1000C?

Determine size of furnace.
Determine how effective thermal insulation is.
Calculate desired watts.
Select any wire size and calcluate watts maximum. Use larger wire if you require higher watts.

For a sanity check determine what wattage a electric home oven uses. A 1000C furnace will probably use at least 4 times the wattage of a electric home oven.(Just guessing, don't have any firm figures)

Years ago there were some articles on ovens to melt metals using a carbon arc. A carbon arc might be a better approach for high temperatures than a resistive furnance.

Could you use an induction heater?

No,i Could not use an induction heater yet.
its just a project,upon which i am working.thats why i need such info.

Last edited:

Related to What length of wire is needed for a 9V heating element to reach 400 C?

1. How does a heating element work?

A heating element works by converting electrical energy into heat energy. This is achieved through the use of resistive materials that have a high resistance to electricity, causing them to heat up when an electric current passes through them.

2. What materials are commonly used to construct a heating element?

The most commonly used materials for heating elements include nickel-chromium alloys (such as nichrome), iron-chromium-aluminum alloys (such as Kanthal), and silicon carbide. These materials have high electrical resistivity and can withstand high temperatures.

3. How is the shape and size of a heating element determined?

The shape and size of a heating element are determined based on the specific application and the amount of heat needed. Factors such as the type of material used, the voltage and current requirements, and the available space for installation all play a role in determining the shape and size of a heating element.

4. What is the maximum temperature that a heating element can reach?

The maximum temperature that a heating element can reach depends on the material used and the design of the element. Generally, heating elements can reach temperatures between 1000-1500 degrees Fahrenheit, but some specialized materials can reach even higher temperatures.

5. How can I maintain and prolong the lifespan of a heating element?

To maintain and prolong the lifespan of a heating element, it is important to clean it regularly and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures. It is also important to use the heating element within its specified voltage and current limits, and to replace it if it becomes damaged or worn out.