What kinds of jobs could i get with a BS in statistics?

In summary, with a BS in statistics (with business emphasis), you may have opportunities in data mining/data analysis in a business setting or in the actuarial field if you pass actuarial exams. It is recommended to pursue a MS in statistics for more opportunities. Both a BS in statistics and a BS in Business Administration can be employable depending on the skills acquired. Suggestions for success include developing programming skills, seeking internships, seeking career counseling, and networking.
annoyinggirl
With just a BS, what kind of jobs could I get with a BS in Statistics (with business emphasis)? With a BS in statistics (with business emphasis) or a BS in Business Administration (with concentration in decision science/operations research) be more employable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
annoyinggirl said:
With just a BS, what kind of jobs could I get with a BS in Statistics (with business emphasis)? With a BS in statistics (with business emphasis) or a BS in Business Administration (with concentration in decision science/operations research) be more employable?

Here is a link to an essay written by one of my former professors about career information for statistics.

http://www.utstat.utoronto.ca/~brunner/whattodo.html

I think the bottom line is that with a BS in statistics alone, you may not be hired as a statistician per se, but opportunities in data mining/data analysis in a business setting should open up, especially if you have developed strong programming skills. A statistics with a business emphasis is also a good stepping stone to pursuing a career in the actuarial field, especially if you pass at least a few of the actuarial exams (I would recommend you at least write a few of the exams while you are still a student, if you want to keep this option open). I would still recommend though that you pursue a MS in statistics, as that extra qualification will open many more doors for you.

As for whether BS in statistics or a BS in Business Administration is more employable -- that's hard to say without knowing more about the specifics of your programs. The key is more on what skills you acquire. My suggestions (which I wrote about earlier) include the following:

1. Get some decent programming skills. Learn how to program or use SAS, R, SQL. Knowing how to program in C or Java doesn't hurt either.

2. If at all possible, seek an internship related to statistics/data analysis while you are in school. This will provide you with job experience prior to graduation, contacts you can use for networking, and references. The best way to find out about internship opportunities is by checking into your department or your school. You can also check out opportunities on job boards (Indeed, Monster) or the American Statistical Association (ASA) website (http://www.amstat.org).

3. Seek some career counselling and tips through your school (e.g. tips on interviewing, resume writing).

4. Network! You can do this by talking to your professors or your TAs, attending workshops or job seminars, etc.

Likes Locrian

Related to What kinds of jobs could i get with a BS in statistics?

1. What industries can I work in with a BS in statistics?

There are a wide range of industries that require professionals with a background in statistics, such as healthcare, finance, marketing, government, and technology. With a BS in statistics, you can work in almost any industry that relies on data analysis and decision-making.

2. What job titles can I pursue with a BS in statistics?

Some common job titles for individuals with a BS in statistics include data analyst, statistician, market research analyst, actuary, and operations research analyst. However, this degree can also prepare you for roles in fields such as data science, business intelligence, and data engineering.

3. What skills will I gain with a BS in statistics?

A BS in statistics will equip you with a strong foundation in statistical theory and methods, as well as skills in data collection, analysis, and interpretation. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills that are highly valued in many industries.

4. What kind of salary can I expect with a BS in statistics?

The salary for individuals with a BS in statistics can vary depending on factors such as job title, industry, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for statisticians in the United States was $92,270 in 2020.

5. What are the potential career advancement opportunities with a BS in statistics?

With a BS in statistics, you can pursue various career advancement opportunities, such as becoming a senior statistician, data scientist, or analytics manager. You can also continue your education and earn a graduate degree in statistics, which can open up even more advanced career opportunities in research, academia, and industry.