What kind of system does this lagrangian describe?

In summary, the given Lagrangian describes a system of two coupled oscillators, which can be interpreted as a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator or a system of two masses coupled with springs. The condition b^2 - 4ac ≠ 0 indicates that the system is not in resonance, and when b^2 = ac, the system loses a degree of freedom and can be described in terms of a single variable. This can be seen in the replacement of a central spring with a rigid rod in a system with three springs.
brotof

Homework Statement

Consider the following Lagrangian:
\begin{equation} L = \frac{m}{2}(a\dot{x}^2 + 2b\dot{x}\dot{y} + c\dot{y}^2)- \frac{k}{2}(ax^2 + 2bxy + cy^2)\end{equation}
Assume that \begin{equation} b^2 - 4ac \ne 0 \end{equation}Find the equations of motion and examine the cases a=b=0 and b=c, c=-a. Which kind of physical system is described by this Lagrangian? What meaning does \begin{equation} b^2 - 4ac \ne 0 \end{equation} have?

Homework Equations

\begin{equation} \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} -\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i} } = 0 \end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to solve the maths for this problem (assuming no errors in my calculations). In general for a, c not equal to 0 i get
\begin{equation} x(t) = \frac{1}{ac-b^2}(A_1 c \cos(\omega t + \phi_1) - A_2 b \cos(\omega t + \phi_2)) \end{equation}
\begin{equation} y(t) = \frac{1}{ac-b^2}(A_2 a \cos(\omega t + \phi_2) - A_1 b \cos(\omega t + \phi_1)) \end{equation}

While for the cases a=c=0 and b=0, c=-a i get
\begin{equation} x(t) = A_1 \cos(\omega t + \phi_1) \end{equation}
\begin{equation} y(t) = A_2 \cos(\omega t + \phi_2) \end{equation}

The problem is I can't exactly figure out what kind of system this could be. My first thoughts are some kind of 2D harmonic oscillator or some system of 2 masses coupled with springs. I'm having problem answering what \begin{equation} b^2 - 4ac \ne 0 \end{equation} "means" when I can't figure out what kind of system this is.

Thanks in advance,
Brotof

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
I didn't check your solution but it looks ok... now:
"2D harmonic oscillator or some system of 2 masses coupled with springs" are examples of two coupled oscillators, so you're basically right.
For your next question, how can you express the Lagrangian when b^2= 4ac? What does it say about the relative phases of x and y?

I see that the Lagrangian then can be written:

\begin{equation}
L = \frac{m}{2c}(b\dot{x} + c\dot{y})^2 -\frac{k}{2c}(bx + cy)^2
\end{equation}

Also, bot my equations of motion reduces to a single one:
\begin{equation}
\frac{b^2}{c}\dot{x} + b\dot{y} + \frac{k}{m}(\frac{b^2}{c} x + by) = 0
\end{equation}

Hmm. I'm not exactly sure what this says about the relative phases. We get the solution

\begin{equation}
(\frac{b^2}{c} x + by) = A \cos(\omega t + \phi)
\end{equation}.
Does this necessarily mean they have the same phase? I'm still not able to visualize this system.

Last edited:
The above is wrong. If:
ax2+2bxy+cy2 and b2= 4ac, then you have equivalently:
(x√a + y√b)2
And your Lagrangian can be written in terms of a single variable:
u = x√a + y√b
In other terms, a degree of freedom has been lost somewhere. Think about this example:
you have first a system of two masses and three springs, something like that:
|^^O^^O^^|
Now replace the central spring by a rigid rod:
|^^O––O^^|
See the connection?

Thanks a lot, that makes sense!

Im really sorry, I was a bit hasty and have made an error. It's supposed to be
\begin{equation}
b^2 = ac
\end{equation}
without the factor 4.

I don't think I'm wrong when taking that into account that I meant b^2 = ac, even though I wrote it a bit more complicated that necessary.

\begin{equation}
\frac{k}{2}(ax^2 + 2bxy + cy^2) = \frac{k}{2}(\frac{b^2}{c}x^2 + 2bxy + cy^2) = \frac{k}{2c}(b^2 x^2 + 2bcxy + c^2 y^2) = \frac{k}{2c}(bx + cy)^2
\end{equation}
and of course the same way for the kinetic energy term.

Then we get

\begin{equation}
bx + cy = A\cos(\omega t + \phi)
\end{equation}

Anyway, the help is appreciated!

Related to What kind of system does this lagrangian describe?

1. What is a Lagrangian system?

A Lagrangian system is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of physical systems. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity that combines the energy and time of the system.

2. How is a Lagrangian system different from a Newtonian system?

A Newtonian system is based on Newton's laws of motion, while a Lagrangian system is based on the principle of least action. In a Newtonian system, the equations of motion are derived from the forces acting on a system, while in a Lagrangian system, the equations of motion are derived from the Lagrangian function, which incorporates both the kinetic and potential energy of a system.

3. What types of physical systems can be described by a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian can be used to describe a wide range of physical systems, including classical mechanics, electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. It is a powerful tool that allows for a unified description of various systems and is widely used in theoretical physics and engineering.

4. How is a Lagrangian determined for a specific system?

The Lagrangian for a specific system is typically determined by analyzing the energy of the system and identifying the relevant variables and constraints. The Lagrangian function is then constructed using these variables and constraints, and the equations of motion can be derived from it.

5. Can a Lagrangian system accurately describe all physical systems?

No, a Lagrangian system is not suitable for describing all physical systems. For example, systems that involve dissipative forces, such as friction, cannot be accurately described by a Lagrangian. In these cases, other mathematical frameworks, such as Hamiltonian systems, may be more appropriate.