What kind of spaces are useful in signals?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signals
In summary, vector spaces, inner product spaces, normed linear spaces, metric spaces, Hilbert spaces, Banach spaces are the most commonly used spaces in signal processing.
Bipolarity
Which spaces, as studied in branches of mathematics such as linear algebra and functional analysis, such as vector spaces, inner product spaces, normed linear spaces, metric spaces, Hilbert spaces, Banach spaces etc. are most useful/frequently encountered in signal processing?

My knowledge of mathematics is limited, but as I plan to converge on the field of signal processing very soon I would like to know which mathematics I place a bigger emphasis on as I continue my adventures in math.

Thankks!

BiP

Engineering news on Phys.org
Of the ones you mentioned vector spaces, inner product spaces and Hilbert spaces are the most commonly used. A lot of stuff is done in the frequency domain (Fourier for continuous time, Z for discrete time).

Unless you really get on the bleeding edge, though, you can typically learn enough of the math in the signal processing course itself.

Actually, in the real word, you find yourself generally working in cubicle spaces.

i believe that Banach spaces are the same as normed linear spaces. and Hilbert spaces are inner-product spaces.

and all inner-product spaces are also normed linear spaces (the norm is the inner product of an element with itself and that quantity is square-rooted). and all normed linear spaces are simple metric spaces (the norm is the same as the distance metric to whatever the zero element is).

metric spaces and functional analysis are very good disciplines to have under your belt with DSP courses, particularly courses involving communications. but you also want a good course in probability, random variables, and random processes (sometimes called "stochastic processes"). but, unless you end up as an academic, you might never use the specific knowledge but you'll get a better feel for a "signal space" like those used in M-ary communication or QPSK.

and another math course you might want to take for signal processing is one in approximation theory. you might want to learn how the Remez exchange algorithm works. and you might want to learn about numerical methods, too. i presume you're solid with Calc, Diff Eq, and complex analysis (like line integrals and residue theory). how are you with matrices and determinants?

and, of course, you need to be solid with your transform analysis (Fourier, Laplace) and Linear System theory (sometimes called Signals and Systems). and you might want to learn about some analog signal processing, like about s-plane and Butterworth and Tchebyshev filters and the bilinear transform.

Last edited:
rbj said:
i believe that Banach spaces are the same as normed linear spaces. and Hilbert spaces are inner-product spaces.

No, that's false. Banach spaces and Hilbert spaces are complete. Normed linear spaces and inner-product spaces don't need to be.

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
No, that's false. Banach spaces and Hilbert spaces are complete. Normed linear spaces and inner-product spaces don't need to be.

okay, i didn't remember that distinction. i think for a signal processing engineer (or student), the difference is sort of esoteric.

but thanks for setting the record straight.

Related to What kind of spaces are useful in signals?

1. What is the difference between time and frequency domains in signal analysis?

In signal analysis, time domain refers to the representation of a signal in terms of amplitude and time. This means that the signal is plotted on a graph with time on the x-axis and amplitude on the y-axis. On the other hand, frequency domain refers to the representation of a signal in terms of its frequency components. This means that the signal is decomposed into its constituent frequencies.

2. How do different types of spaces affect the analysis of signals?

Different types of spaces, such as physical, mathematical, and computational spaces, can affect the analysis of signals in various ways. For example, physical spaces can introduce noise or interference in the signal, mathematical spaces can provide a more accurate representation of the signal, and computational spaces can allow for efficient processing of the signal.

3. What are some examples of useful spaces in signal analysis?

Some examples of useful spaces in signal analysis include Fourier space, wavelet space, and time-frequency space. These spaces allow for the representation of signals in terms of frequency, time, and amplitude, respectively, and are commonly used in signal processing applications.

4. How do spaces affect the interpretation of signal properties?

Spaces can greatly influence the interpretation of signal properties. For instance, the choice of a particular space can affect the resolution and accuracy of signal analysis. Additionally, different spaces may highlight different aspects of a signal, making it important to carefully select the most appropriate space for a particular application.

5. Can different spaces be combined for signal analysis?

Yes, it is possible to combine different spaces for signal analysis. This can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the signal and its properties. For example, combining Fourier space and wavelet space can allow for a simultaneous analysis of both frequency and time components of a signal.