What kind of physics is involved in computer production?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a topic for a physics exploration related to computer hardware or electrical/computer engineering. The conversation mentions the importance of semiconductors in modern electronics, as well as the role of solid state physics in the production of computer hardware. Additionally, the conversation brings up the physics involved in processes such as soldering and creating insulating layers for circuit boards.
cmkluza
I'm trying to find an a topic for a physics exploration, and since I like working with computer hardware, I figure I'll try to look at physics related to computer hardware, or electrical/computer engineering in general. However I can't seem to find out what kind of physics goes into this stuff. Perhaps it's just my wording, but Google returns nothing.

So, what kind of physics goes into the production of computer hardware, or more generally computer or electrical engineering? Not sure if I can ask this here, but any ideas on how I can create a physics exploration based on these ideas?

Thanks for any help/clarification!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start with semiconductors, which are the physical basis of 99.9% of modern CPU and memory systems.

Likes CWatters
Even soldering components onto a printed circuit boards involves processes that look suspiciously like "physics"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_oven#Vapour_phase_oven

Edit: Physics is everywhere in computers, from the spin up time of a hard drive to generating colours on an LCD/LED panel. It's harder to think where physics isn't involved.

cmkluza said:
I'm trying to find an a topic for a physics exploration, and since I like working with computer hardware, I figure I'll try to look at physics related to computer hardware, or electrical/computer engineering in general. However I can't seem to find out what kind of physics goes into this stuff. Perhaps it's just my wording, but Google returns nothing.

So, what kind of physics goes into the production of computer hardware, or more generally computer or electrical engineering? Not sure if I can ask this here, but any ideas on how I can create a physics exploration based on these ideas?

Thanks for any help/clarification!

Rootone has mentioned semiconductors, which is a MAJOR aspect of microprocessors that powers practically all of our modern electronics. Pay particular attention to solid state devices such as transistors, etc.

And don't forget your hard disk drives, which is a magnetic medium.

Even the issue of having a proper insulating layer is an issue. As things get smaller, it is essential that circuit boards, etc. can be made smaller and thinner, and a proper insulating layer that is extremely thin is needed. So the physics of insulators, and the growth of new material for this come into play.

In other words, look up "solid state physics".

Zz.

Thanks for all the replies, I can't wait to look further into these topics and see what they're all about!

What is the role of physics in computer production?

Physics plays a crucial role in the production of computers. It helps in understanding the behavior of materials and components used in computers, as well as in designing and manufacturing them.

What specific branches of physics are involved in computer production?

The branches of physics involved in computer production include electromagnetism, mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These branches help in understanding the behavior of electricity, mechanics of components, heat transfer, and behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

How is electromagnetism used in computer production?

Electromagnetism is used in computer production to power components, such as hard drives and processors. It also helps in data transmission through the use of electromagnetic waves.

In what ways does mechanics play a role in computer production?

Mechanics is used in computer production to understand the movement and behavior of components, such as fans, motors, and disks. It also helps in designing and testing the durability and stability of computer structures.

How does thermodynamics impact computer production?

Thermodynamics is essential in computer production as it helps in managing heat dissipation and temperature control within the computer. This is crucial in preventing overheating, which can damage components and affect the overall performance of the computer.