What kind of motion will the body do?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Motion
In summary: Thinking)... which it starts to decrease rapidly. (Thinking)So, as a conclusion, the movement has a linear part, followed by a more complex movement. (Thinking)In summary, the conversation involved discussing a problem involving a body with mass and potential energy, and finding out the type of motion it will do. The discussion included solving the problem using differential equations, graph analysis, and approximations. It was also mentioned that the movement involved has a linear part followed by a more complex one.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

The potential energy of a body with mass $ m=3 $ is given by the function $ U(x)=\frac{2}{5}x^5$. Initially the body is at the position $x=0$ and has velocity with metre $1$.
How can I find what kind of motion the body will do??

I have done the following:

$$F=ma=3v'=3x''$$

$$F=-U_x=-2x^4$$

$$3x''=-2x^4 \Rightarrow x''=-\frac{2}{3}x^4$$

$$ x''x'=-\frac{2}{3}x^4 x' $$

$$ \int_0^t x''x' du=-\int_0^t \frac{2}{3}x^4 x' du \Rightarrow \int_0^t \left ( \frac{1}{2} (x')^2 \right )' du=- \int_0^t \left ( \frac{2}{15} x^5 \right )' du \\ \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} ((x'(t))^2-(x'(0))^2)=-\frac{2}{15} (x^5(t) -x^5(0))\Rightarrow (x'(t))^2-1=-\frac{4}{15}x^5(t) \Rightarrow x'(t)=\pm \sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5(t)}$$

Is this correct??

How can I conclude from that what kind of motion the body will do?? (Wondering)

Or is there an other way to find this?? (Wondering)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari! (Happy)

mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

The potential energy of a body with mass $ m=3 $ is given by the function $ U(x)=\frac{2}{5}x^5$. Initially the body is at the position $x=0$ and has velocity with metre $1$.
How can I find what kind of motion the body will do??

I have done the following:

$$F=ma=3v'=3x''$$

$$F=-U_x=-2x^4$$

$$3x''=-2x^4 \Rightarrow x''=-\frac{2}{3}x^4$$

$$ x''x'=-\frac{2}{3}x^4 x' $$

$$ \int_0^t x''x' du=-\int_0^t \frac{2}{3}x^4 x' du \Rightarrow \int_0^t \left ( \frac{1}{2} (x')^2 \right )' du=- \int_0^t \left ( \frac{2}{15} x^5 \right )' du \\ \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} ((x'(t))^2-(x'(0))^2)=-\frac{2}{15} (x^5(t) -x^5(0))\Rightarrow (x'(t))^2-1=-\frac{4}{15}x^5(t) \Rightarrow x'(t)=\pm \sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5(t)}$$

Is this correct??

Yep!
How can I conclude from that what kind of motion the body will do?? (Wondering)

We can take it slightly further.
$$\d x t = \pm \sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5(t)}$$
$$dt = \pm \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5(t)}}$$
$$t = \int \pm \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5}}$$Anyway, to understand the kind of motion, we should do a graph analysis.
That is, figure out for instance what $x$ is when $x'(t)=0$.
Graph $x''$, and $x'$ as functions of x.
Figure out (approximately) at which time $x$ takes its maximum value.
Deduce what happens afterwards... (Thinking)
Or is there an other way to find this?? (Wondering)

Not that I know of.
You already seem to know everything! (Happy)What you may find interesting is that for instance $x''(t)$ is usually written as $\ddot x$. This is Newton's notation for a derivative with respect to time.
It makes the notation in these type of classical mechanics problems significantly shorter, making it easier to understand (once you get used to it).

And to approach more complicated problems, we would get into Lagrangrian mechanics. But in this case that doesn't add anything of value. (Dull)

I like Serena said:
Anyway, to understand the kind of motion, we should do a graph analysis.
That is, figure out for instance what $x$ is when $x'(t)=0$.
Graph $x''$, and $x'$ as functions of x.
Figure out (approximately) at which time $x$ takes its maximum value.
Deduce what happens afterwards... (Thinking)
When $\dot x=v=0$ then $1-\frac{4}{15}x^5=0 \Rightarrow \frac{4}{15}x^5=1 \Rightarrow x=\sqrt[5]{\frac{15}{4}}$.Since $\sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5}$ is well defined when $1-\frac{4}{15}x^5>0 \Rightarrow \frac{4}{15}x^5<1 \Rightarrow x<\sqrt[5]{\frac{15}{4}}$, we graph both $\ddot x$ and $\dot x$ at this interval, right??

The graph of $\ddot x$ is the following:
[desmos="- infty,(15/4)^(1/5),,"]-\frac{2}{3} x^4[/desmos]

The graph of $\dot x$ is the following:
[desmos="- infty,(15/4)^(1/5),,"]\sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5};-\sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5}[/desmos]How can I figure out at which time $x$ takes its maximum value?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
When $\dot x=v=0$ then $1-\frac{4}{15}x^5=0 \Rightarrow \frac{4}{15}x^5=1 \Rightarrow x=\sqrt[5]{\frac{15}{4}}$.Since $\sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5}$ is well defined when $1-\frac{4}{15}x^5>0 \Rightarrow \frac{4}{15}x^5<1 \Rightarrow x<\sqrt[5]{\frac{15}{4}}$, we graph both $\ddot x$ and $\dot x$ at this interval, right??

The graph of $\ddot x$ is the following:The graph of $\dot x$ is the following:

Good! (Smile)
How can I figure out at which time $x$ takes its maximum value?? (Wondering)

By making an approximation of:
$$t = \int_0^{\sqrt[5]{15/4}} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5}}$$We can try to make a graph of $x(t)$ now.
How do you think it starts? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
By making an approximation of:
$$t = \int_0^{\sqrt[5]{15/4}} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-\frac{4}{15}x^5}}$$

I got stuck right now.. To calculate this integral do we suppose that $x$ does not depend on $t$?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I got stuck right now.. To calculate this integral do we suppose that $x$ does not depend on $t$?? (Wondering)

Sort of.

We have that $x$ is a function of $t$.
That means that the inverse function is $t$ as a function of $x$.
That is what we calculate.
To say it in other words, if we define $f(t)=x(t)$, then $t(x)=f^{-1}(x)$. (Nerd)

We really want to find $x(t)$, but that is not so easy.
At least we can say something about $t(x)$.

For the first part of the trajectory, where $x(t)$ is invertible, we have:
$$t=\int_0^x \frac {du} {\sqrt{1-\frac 4{15} u^5}}$$

For $x=\sqrt[5]{15/4}$, we get (from W|A):
$$t=\int_0^{\sqrt[5]{15/4}} \frac {du} {\sqrt{1-\frac 4{15} u^5}}
\approx 1.633$$So... what would the graph of $x(t)$ versus $t$ look like? (Wondering)

Here's what I found. (Worried)

View attachment 3101

(Almost) linear movement up, followed by symmetric linear movement down, ending with a near vertical drop.

Attachments

• Movement_of_body.png
    Movement_of_body.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 67
mathmari said:
Hi! :eek:

I wanted to reply to the thread http://mathhelpboards.com/other-advanced-topics-20/what-kind-motion-will-body-do-11945.html but I couldn't submit it.. (Dull)

Hi mathmari! (Wave)

We figured out that you can post again if you close the Topic Review that shows the previous posts, which in particular removes the post with the Desmos graphs from view.

I have also created a thread in the feedback forum:
http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-comments-feedback-25/submit-preview-do-not-work-some-threads-due-desmos-12019.html
mathmari said:
Do we take the limits at the integral as you did at the post #6, because the time $t$ is a function of $x$, and $x$ must be $\geq 0$ ?? (Thinking)

We consider $x$ as an invertible function of $t$, so that we can talk of $t(x)$.
$x$ doesn't necessarily have to be greater than $0$, but if it isn't, it will yield negative values for $t$.

(Wait) That might show what happened to the body before it started in $x=0$.

Anyway, at this time we are interested in $t \ge 0$ with $x$ starting at $x_0=0$, meaning it will get values $x \ge 0$.
Do we get the graph by calculating $t$, so the integral, for different values for $x$ on the interval $[0, \sqrt[5]{\frac{15}{4}}]$ ?? (Thinking)

The integral for calculating $t$ only works for the part of the domain where $x(t)$ is invertible, and where $x_0=0$ and $\dot x_0 = 1$.
That is indeed the interval $[0, \sqrt[5]{\frac{15}{4}}]$.

To get the graph for other parts of the domain, we can solve the differential equation again for different boundaries. (Thinking)
Has the movement as you described at the post #7 a specific name?? (Wondering)

Not that I know of.
I can only tell that the first part of the movement is (almost) linear, since the acceleration of the body stays close to zero for a fairly long time.
You can also see this in the speed graph, which shows that the speed remains nearly constant for some time, after which it drops off fairly sharply to zero.

After that it will fall back, and due to the nature of the so called conservative force, it will make the same linear movement back.
You can see this in the speed graph, which shows that it will make the same movement, but in reverse. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
We figured out that you can post again if you close the Topic Review that shows the previous posts, which in particular removes the post with the Desmos graphs from view.

I have also created a thread in the feedback forum:
http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-comments-feedback-25/submit-preview-do-not-work-some-threads-due-desmos-12019.html

Ok! Great! (Whew)
I like Serena said:
We consider $x$ as an invertible function of $t$, so that we can talk of $t(x)$.
$x$ doesn't necessarily have to be greater than $0$, but if it isn't, it will yield negative values for $t$.

(Wait) That might show what happened to the body before it started in $x=0$.

Anyway, at this time we are interested in $t \ge 0$ with $x$ starting at $x_0=0$, meaning it will get values $x \ge 0$.

The integral for calculating $t$ only works for the part of the domain where $x(t)$ is invertible, and where $x_0=0$ and $\dot x_0 = 1$.
That is indeed the interval $[0, \sqrt[5]{\frac{15}{4}}]$.

To get the graph for other parts of the domain, we can solve the differential equation again for different boundaries. (Thinking)

Not that I know of.
I can only tell that the first part of the movement is (almost) linear, since the acceleration of the body stays close to zero for a fairly long time.
You can also see this in the speed graph, which shows that the speed remains nearly constant for some time, after which it drops off fairly sharply to zero.

After that it will fall back, and due to the nature of the so called conservative force, it will make the same linear movement back.
You can see this in the speed graph, which shows that it will make the same movement, but in reverse. (Mmm)
I see! (Smile) Thanks a lot for your help! (Mmm)

Related to What kind of motion will the body do?

1. What is the definition of motion?

Motion can be defined as the change in position of an object over time, relative to a reference point.

2. What factors affect the type of motion a body will do?

The type of motion a body will do is affected by several factors, including the forces acting on the body, the mass of the body, and the surface the body is moving on.

3. How many types of motion are there?

There are three main types of motion: linear motion, rotational motion, and oscillatory motion.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

5. Can a body have more than one type of motion at the same time?

Yes, a body can have multiple types of motion at the same time. For example, a rolling ball has both linear and rotational motion.