What Journals are wisest to follow?

In summary, the conversation is about seeking advice on what journals to follow based on the individual's interests in biotechnology, cell signalling, medicine, and gene transcription. The suggestion is made to use PubMed and limit the search to reviews at first. There is a discussion about how people read research papers, with one person suggesting to focus on the figures and conclusions for staying up to date.
thE3nigma
Hello everyone,

I wanted some advice as to what journals I could follow based on my interests.

I am currently studying Biotechnology (my interest), but I am interested as well in cell signalling (particularly as it applies to activation/deactivation of genes), medicine (therapeutics, drugs, pharmaceuticals really), and very much in the area of gene transcription, control, and genome structure/function. Basically anything to do with molecular genetics and its application in the pharmaceutical/biotech industries.

I was hoping that I could get some advice from the senior members of this forum as to what are some of the best journals to follow specifically on these topics. Also is it better to follow journals (that is the archives, past articles) or should I just go to something like PubMed and search for past articles on these topics?

I thank you all for your help.

Biology news on Phys.org
Its probably better if you go to pubmed and do search a search with specific key words. You might want to limit you search to reviews at the beginning just to get a sense of the field.

Ok so just reviews in the beginning.

Just a side question. Do people really always read the whole articles? As in everything from a-z (protocols, methods, data and conclusions) or do most readers focus on data and conclusions. I am assuming it depends on who is actually reading the paper, correct?

Personally, when I read a research paper, I look at the figures and read the captions (i.e. focus on the data) and then read the conclusions. If I need additional clarification, I'll read the methods and possibly the introduction- just to get additional references and supplementary information.

Thanks Andy for the advice. That sounds like a very smart way of staying up to date with papers.

Related to What Journals are wisest to follow?

1. What criteria should I consider when choosing which journals to follow?

When choosing which journals to follow, there are several criteria to consider. These include the relevance of the journal to your field of study, the reputation and impact factor of the journal, the quality of the articles published, and the frequency of publication.

2. How can I determine the impact factor of a journal?

The impact factor of a journal can be found by searching for the journal on the Journal Citation Reports (JCR) website. This is a database that provides information on the citation performance of over 11,000 scholarly and technical journals.

3. Should I only follow journals that are highly ranked?

While high-ranked journals may have a higher impact factor and a larger readership, it is also important to consider the relevance and quality of the articles published in the journal. It is recommended to follow a mix of both high-ranked and niche journals in your field of study.

4. How often should I check the journals I follow?

It is recommended to check the journals you follow on a regular basis, such as weekly or monthly. This will ensure that you stay updated on the latest research and developments in your field.

5. Is it necessary to follow journals outside of my specific field of study?

While it is important to stay updated on the latest research in your field, it can also be beneficial to follow journals outside of your specific field. This can provide a broader perspective and potential interdisciplinary collaborations.