What Jobs Can an Associate's in Electrical Engineering Land in Texas Oil Fields?

In summary: I think that an associate's degree in electrical engineering would give you the skills you need for a job as an engineering technician, depending on the specific company you're applying to. In summary, an electrical engineering associate's degree would give you the basic skills you need for a job as an engineering technician.
brojas7
I just received my associate's, well the actual name of the degree is associate of science concentration in electrical engineering. I live near the oil fields in Texas and was wondering what type of jobs I can look for. I know there isn't a lot of jobs and I do plan on going for my bachelors but I want to go while working in a related field. I guess I really need help in what the names of these type of jobs are since I really can't find anything when running a search in eagle ford shale website or the indeed.com website

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone?

It is always a problem to decide what future one wants - you really can't know too much about a career until you're already launched on it. Speaking as an ex-teacher in the UK, I can say that careers advice in schools is pretty sparse these days and they seem to advise students to do courses that appeal to them rather than to aim at particular jobs early on in their education. Also, companies don't need to make the effort to attract young people like they used to, so they don't do the rounds of the Universities like in the past.
Perhaps you could find the sort of job that you like and then aim your final qualification to suit you for it (i.e. the other way round). From what you write, I would guess you are not obliged to continue along the specific degree course. Google "careers opportunities in x,y,z", to get an idea of what it's like in different fields of work. You could approach likely organisations and ask about internships / work experience places.

brojas7 said:
I just received my associate's, well the actual name of the degree is associate of science concentration in electrical engineering. I live near the oil fields in Texas and was wondering what type of jobs I can look for. I know there isn't a lot of jobs and I do plan on going for my bachelors but I want to go while working in a related field. I guess I really need help in what the names of these type of jobs are since I really can't find anything when running a search in eagle ford shale website or the indeed.com website

In the companies I have worked for over the years, folks with 2-year degrees worked as engineering technicians, helping to build and test the circuits that the EEs had designed. So good soldering and reworking skills are essential, as well as working with other kinds of electronic assemblies (cables, enclosures, power supplies, etc.). And the more valuable technicians are comfortable using measurement equipment like oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, impedance analyzers, and other test equipment.

Were many of those topics included in your 2-year degree? You might also want to build up a couple electronics kit projects, to practice your soldering and assembling skills.

berkeman said:
In the companies I have worked for over the years, folks with 2-year degrees worked as engineering technicians, helping to build and test the circuits that the EEs had designed. So good soldering and reworking skills are essential, as well as working with other kinds of electronic assemblies (cables, enclosures, power supplies, etc.). And the more valuable technicians are comfortable using measurement equipment like oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, impedance analyzers, and other test equipment.

Were many of those topics included in your 2-year degree? You might also want to build up a couple electronics kit projects, to practice your soldering and assembling skills.

We did use oscilliscopes and evaluated circuits but as far as soldering and actually building circuits, we didn't have any hands on with them. The college I went to was barely getting a lot of those tools in the last semester I was there. I looked online for soldering stations as an attempt at finding a hobby to better my skills and they aren't too expensive. Any ideas on projects that involves soldering and building circuits that I can Iinclude in my resume? I'm using my phone so I am sorry for any errors.
But basically I am looking for positions titled engineering technician?

brojas7 said:
We did use oscilliscopes and evaluated circuits but as far as soldering and actually building circuits, we didn't have any hands on with them. The college I went to was barely getting a lot of those tools in the last semester I was there. I looked online for soldering stations as an attempt at finding a hobby to better my skills and they aren't too expensive. Any ideas on projects that involves soldering and building circuits that I can Iinclude in my resume? I'm using my phone so I am sorry for any errors.
But basically I am looking for positions titled engineering technician?

Yes, at least in my experience in the US, you would be looking for an electronics engineering technician position.

As for projects, I would Google electronics kit projects, and pick a couple that interest you. The best projects are those that you can use in your hobbies or other fun pursuits, like low-power FM transmitters or hobby power supplies, etc.

More advanced DIY projects that will make you much more valuable and desirable to employers would involve microcontroller (uC) kits and eval boards. If you can show that you have made a project with a PIC or Xilinx or Rapsberry Pi evaluation board, that will be a very large factor in your favor when interviewing as an electronics technician.

Related to What Jobs Can an Associate's in Electrical Engineering Land in Texas Oil Fields?

1. What types of jobs can I get with an A.S. in engineering?

With an A.S. in engineering, you can pursue a variety of entry-level positions in industries such as manufacturing, construction, transportation, and energy. Some common job titles include engineering technician, quality control technician, CAD technician, and project coordinator.

2. How much can I expect to earn with an A.S. in engineering?

The salary for someone with an A.S. in engineering can vary greatly depending on factors such as location, industry, and job title. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for engineering technicians was $56,980 in May 2020.

3. Will I need additional education or certifications to advance in my career?

While an A.S. in engineering can provide a solid foundation for entry-level positions, some employers may prefer or require a bachelor's degree for more advanced roles. Additionally, obtaining certifications in specific engineering disciplines can also enhance your job prospects and earning potential.

4. What skills will I gain from an A.S. in engineering?

An A.S. in engineering will provide you with a strong understanding of fundamental engineering principles and hands-on experience with technical tools and equipment. You will also develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication, which are highly valued by employers.

5. Are there any specific industries that value A.S. in engineering graduates?

Graduates with an A.S. in engineering are in demand in various industries, including manufacturing, construction, transportation, energy, and telecommunications. These industries rely on the technical expertise and problem-solving skills of engineering technicians to support their operations and projects.