What job should I get before I become an Electrical Engineer?

In summary, the person is currently pursuing a degree in electrical engineering and is looking for a higher paying job in the field while working full time. However, without an AA or bachelor's degree, they may have to settle for an unpaid internship and their background and education level may limit their job options.
jknapp001
I am currently in the academic process of becoming an electrical engineer. I have not gotten my AA yet. My question is, What job or type of job should I get while getting my degree in electrical engineering? I am a full time worker so higher paying job in the field of E.E. would be preferred. Thank you for all advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
jknapp001 said:
I am a full time worker so higher paying job in the field of E.E. would be preferred.
You don't even have an associates, much less a bachelors, so you'll be lucky to get an (likely unpaid) internship.

What's your background? Are you working towards your Bachelors? Masters?

You are not going to get anything above an internship if you have no experience and in the process of a 4-year degree.

Related to What job should I get before I become an Electrical Engineer?

1. What are the benefits of getting a job before becoming an Electrical Engineer?

Getting a job before becoming an Electrical Engineer can provide you with practical experience and exposure to the industry. This can give you a better understanding of the field and what is expected of you as an engineer. It can also help you build a professional network and potentially lead to job opportunities after graduation.

2. What types of jobs should I consider before pursuing a career in Electrical Engineering?

Some potential job options to consider before becoming an Electrical Engineer include internships, co-op positions, and entry-level positions in related fields such as electronics, computer engineering, or telecommunications. Any job that involves working with technology or developing problem-solving skills can be beneficial.

3. Will having a job before becoming an Electrical Engineer make me a more competitive candidate?

Having work experience in a related field can definitely make you a more competitive candidate for an Electrical Engineering position. It shows that you have practical skills and knowledge, and have a strong work ethic. It can also give you an edge in the job market and set you apart from other candidates.

4. Is it necessary to have a job before becoming an Electrical Engineer?

No, it is not necessary to have a job before becoming an Electrical Engineer. Many students choose to focus solely on their studies and gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs during their studies. However, having a job can provide valuable experience and skills that can benefit your future career.

5. Can I still become an Electrical Engineer if I don't have a job before graduation?

Yes, you can still become an Electrical Engineer without having a job before graduation. Many students enter the field with no prior work experience and are still successful in their careers. However, gaining work experience can give you a competitive edge and help you better understand the practical aspects of the field.