What is your usual sleeping position?

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, sleeping on your front (pronate) may provide temporary relief for a bad back, but over time it can strain the lower back. It is recommended to try using a pillow under your knees when sleeping on your back to ease stress on the lower back. However, discussing health-related matters on Physics Forums is allowed, but medical advice is not.

usual sleeping position

• supine (on your back)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • pronate (on your front)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • lateral (on your side)

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • facing rightward

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • facing leftward

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • hand(s) on chest

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • hand(s) under back of head/neck

• hand(s) under face

• hand(s) wherever/various

• age < 30

• age 30-60

• age > 60

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Biology news on Phys.org
The last few days I have had a slightly bad back. Last night for the first time in ages I slept for a while on my front (pronate). My back is getting better :smile:

George Keeling said:
The last few days I have had a slightly bad back. Last night for the first time in ages I slept for a while on my front (pronate). My back is getting better :smile:
Maybe that's a response to a change, rather than something advisable as a long-term practice ##-## over time, that position tends to strain the lower back.

Likes George Keeling
George Keeling said:
Consider trying a pillow under your knees when sleeping on your back. I started doing that a few years ago, and it really eases the stress on your lower back when sleeping on your back. When I roll to my side when sleeping, I move that pillow to between my knees, which is also more comfortable for me. :smile:

Likes George Keeling and sysprog
sysprog said:
that position tends to strain the lower back.
berkeman said:
pillow under your knees when sleeping on your back
I never expected a doctor service on Physics Forums! Thanks folks!

George Keeling said:
I understand that you were being lighthearted ##-## I'm not a Mentor/Moderator, but I have read the guidelines ##-## to be clear: PF allows discussion of health-related matters, but does not allow medical advice.

George Keeling said:
Sshhh, you'll get us in trouble...

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and sysprog
Thanks to everyone who read/voted/posted ##-## :sleep:

Related to What is your usual sleeping position?

1. What is the best sleeping position for my health?

The best sleeping position for your health is one that promotes proper alignment of your spine and allows for comfortable breathing. This can vary depending on individual preferences and any existing medical conditions.

2. Is it bad to sleep on my stomach?

Sleeping on your stomach can put strain on your neck and back, leading to discomfort and potential long-term issues. It is generally recommended to avoid this position and try to sleep on your back or side instead.

3. What is the most common sleeping position?

The most common sleeping position is on one's side, with the legs slightly bent and a pillow between the knees. This position allows for proper spinal alignment and can be beneficial for those with sleep apnea or snoring issues.

4. How can I improve my sleeping position?

To improve your sleeping position, try to avoid sleeping on your stomach and instead opt for sleeping on your back or side. You can also experiment with different pillows and mattress firmness to find the most comfortable position for you.

5. Can my sleeping position affect my overall health?

Yes, your sleeping position can have an impact on your overall health. Sleeping in a position that causes strain on your spine or restricts your breathing can lead to chronic pain and other health issues. It is important to find a comfortable and supportive sleeping position for optimal health.