What is your favorite discovery/invention?

• Thread starter stephenkohnle53
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed various favorite discoveries and inventions that have occurred in the speakers' lifetime. One mentioned the data readings from a recent neutron star collision, specifically the detection of both gravitational waves and EM radiation. Another highlighted the discovery of high-Tc superconductors, which caused the first "Woodstock of Physics." However, the most significant discovery for one of the speakers was the double helix structure of DNA, first published in 1953 and making a lasting impression despite being only 19 days old at the time.
stephenkohnle53
What was your favorite discovery, invention or similar that happened in your life time?

Mine was the data readings from the recent neutron star collision, more specifically that we were able to detect gravitational waves from it.

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
stephenkohnle53 said:
What was your favorite discovery, invention or similar that happened in your life time?

Mine was the data readings from the recent neutron star collision, more specifically that we were able to detect gravitational waves from it.

Actually, they were able to detect BOTH gravitational waves and EM radiation (light) from it, which has never happened before for such a significant event. Many have hailed it as the beginning of gravitational astronomy.

But for me, the most "favorite" discovery in my lifetime is the discovery of high-Tc superconductors. No other discovery in physics can claim to have caused the first ever "Woodstock of Physics".

Zz.

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
http://cc.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~ywchang/Courses/Pic/first-transistor.jpg
first-transistor.jpg

Attachments

• first-transistor.jpg
    first-transistor.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 487
Likes collinsmark, BillTre and fresh_42

Attachments

• 800px-Tim_Berners-Lee_April_2009.jpg
    800px-Tim_Berners-Lee_April_2009.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 486
Likes collinsmark and Grands
The double helix structure of DNA (and all the implications of it).
"A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid," was first published on Nature on April 25, 1953.

Taking that as its time of discovery means it was in my life time. I was 19 days old!
It made quite an impression on me, but it took a while for it to really sink in.

Likes berkeman and collinsmark

Related to What is your favorite discovery/invention?

1. What is your favorite discovery/invention and why?

My favorite discovery/invention is the theory of relativity proposed by Albert Einstein. It revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity, and has numerous practical applications in modern technology.

2. How did you come up with your favorite discovery/invention?

As a scientist, I did not personally come up with any discovery or invention. However, I am constantly reading and learning about the work of other scientists and researchers, and the theory of relativity has always intrigued and fascinated me.

3. Can you explain your favorite discovery/invention in simple terms?

The theory of relativity explains that time and space are relative concepts and are affected by gravity. It also states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This theory has been proven through numerous experiments and has greatly influenced modern physics.

4. How has your favorite discovery/invention impacted society?

The theory of relativity has had a significant impact on society, particularly in the fields of technology and space exploration. It has led to the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communication, and has also helped us understand the universe and how it works.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding your favorite discovery/invention?

There have been some controversies surrounding the theory of relativity, particularly in its implications for the concept of time and the existence of a universal "now." However, these debates are ongoing and do not detract from the groundbreaking nature of this discovery.