What is wrong with my thinking?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, Einstein's theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. A thought experiment involving twins with identical watches, one remaining on Earth and the other traveling in a spaceship at the speed of light, demonstrates the effects of relativity on time. When the traveling twin returns to Earth, their watches will have ticked off the same amount of time because they were both in the same inertial reference frame. However, the traveling twin's watch will appear to have ticked slower from the perspective of the twin on Earth due to their different reference frames. This difference in aging only occurs when the twins are in different inertial reference frames.
pivoxa15
Einstein stated that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames.

Lets do the old thought experiment

There are a pair of twins each with identical watches. One remains on Earth while the other travels out into space near the speed of light and back again.

The twin on Earth will see the effects of relativity on the traveling twin because they are not in the same inertial reference frames.

To the twin inside the spaceship, his watch ticks at the same rate as his brother because the traveller and his watch are always at rest with respect to each other. The twin on Earth is also at rest with respect to his watch. Hence both twins keep their own time at the same rate (although during the trip, they will see each other differently due to relativity) .

When the traveling twin completes the trip and comes back to Earth thereby reuniting with the reference frame of his brother, the amount of time ticked off by the traveling twin should be identical to the amount ticked off by his brother who was on Earth all that time. This is because they have been keeing time in an inertial frame that is idential with each other. Hence the two twins have aged the same when they finall meet.

The aging difference should only occur when they do not meet in other words, when the are at different inertial references frames with respect to each other.

But experts have stated that I am wrong and the traveling twin will only have aged a small proportion compared to how much it has aged on earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
Einstein stated that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames.
Lets do the old thought experiment
There are a pair of twins each with identical watches. One remains on Earth while the other travels out into space near the speed of light and back again.
The twin on Earth will see the effects of relativity on the traveling twin because they are not in the same inertial reference frames.
To the twin inside the spaceship, his watch ticks at the same rate as his brother because the traveller and his watch are always at rest with respect to each other. The twin on Earth is also at rest with respect to his watch. Hence both twins keep their own time at the same rate (although during the trip, they will see each other differently due to relativity) .
Each twin's watch ticks at the normal rate in their own reference frame. However, in each twin's reference frame, the other twin's watch is genuinely ticking slower--it's not just that they see each other differently, even if the twins correct for the light delay each will conclude the other twin's clock is ticking slower than their own.
pivoxa15 said:
When the traveling twin completes the trip and comes back to Earth thereby reuniting with the reference frame of his brother, the amount of time ticked off by the traveling twin should be identical to the amount ticked off by his brother who was on Earth all that time. This is because they have been keeing time in an inertial frame that is idential with each other. Hence the two twins have aged the same when they finall meet.
No, for the other twin to turn around and return to earth, he has to accelerate during the turnaround phase and switch into a different inertial reference frame. "Inertial reference frame" means the frame of an observer who always travels at constant velocity and never accelerates. An inertial observer traveling alongside the twin during the outbound leg would see him at rest, but then when he turns around and heads back towards earth, this inertial observer (who continues to move away from the Earth at the same constant velocity) sees him acquire a large velocity in the direction of the Earth during the inbound leg of the trip.

If you're not afraid of a little math there's an excellent treatment of this problem that I just read up on arXiv: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0104077 . I was actually looking for a good k-calculus link to give you when I stumbled across this, it is the best treatment of the problem that I can recall seeing.

Related to What is wrong with my thinking?

1. Why do I often jump to conclusions without considering all the evidence?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that you are relying too heavily on your intuition and not taking the time to gather and analyze all the information. Another reason could be that you have certain biases or preconceived notions that are clouding your judgment. It's important to slow down and actively consider all perspectives and evidence before coming to a conclusion.

2. How can I stop myself from making impulsive decisions?

Impulsive decisions are often the result of emotional or instinctual responses. To prevent this, it's important to practice mindfulness and self-awareness. Take a moment to pause and reflect before making a decision. Ask yourself if your decision is based on emotions or logic, and if there is any evidence or information that you may be overlooking. Taking a step back and considering all aspects can help you make a more rational decision.

3. Why do I struggle to see things from someone else's perspective?

This could be due to a lack of empathy or emotional intelligence. It's important to actively listen and try to understand where others are coming from. Put yourself in their shoes and try to imagine how they may be feeling or what their thought process might be. It may also be helpful to educate yourself on different perspectives and practice open-mindedness.

4. How do I know if my thinking is biased?

We all have biases, whether we are aware of them or not. One way to identify biases in our thinking is to examine our thoughts and beliefs and question where they come from. Are they based on personal experiences, cultural influences, or media? Being aware of our biases can help us challenge and broaden our perspectives.

5. Why do I have a hard time changing my mind?

Changing our minds can be difficult because it requires us to admit that we were wrong or to let go of deeply held beliefs. It's important to remember that changing our minds is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of growth and open-mindedness. It's helpful to actively listen to others and consider their perspectives, as well as continuously educate ourselves and be open to new information and ideas.