What is V(K) of inductor given coupling coefficent?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving inductors and mutual inductance using mesh equations. The voltage drop across L1 is affected by the current in L2, and the equation for this is jw(L1(I1-I2)+M(I2)). There is also a discussion about the voltage sources and how they do not appear in the equation. The correct answer is option D, j400I1-j1200I2 (A).
asdf12312

Homework Statement

ri87wh.jpg

Homework Equations

k=1
inductor(left)=400j
inductor(right)=1600j

The Attempt at a Solution

how to do this! help me. my caluclator can't solve 3 rectangular form mesh currents equations so i cannot solve for individual currents for all 3 loops! i just guessed on this answer. i put 400j(I1)-(1600+400)j(I2) or D.

A. -j400 I1+j1600 I2 (A)
B. j400 I1+j400 I2 (A)
C. -j400 I1-j400 I2 (A)
D. j400 I1-j1200 I2 (A)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not my choice.

Write down the equation for voltage drop across L1 (jX = j400) due to one or more of i1, i2 and i3.

ok using mesh equations?
-20+3I1+j400(I1-I2)=0
(3+j400)I1-(j400)I2=20 (for mesh 1)

don't know if I'm doing this right. I know usually V1=M*di2/dt for mutual inductors especially with this arrangement of dots but not sure how to apply that. voltage drop normally across the inductor would be Vk=j400(I1-I2) but not sure with this arrangement.

Last edited:
asdf12312 said:
ok using mesh equations?
-20+3I1+j400(I1-I2)=0
(3+j400)I1-(j400)I2=20 (for mesh 1)

don't know if I'm doing this right. I know usually V1=M*di2/dt for mutual inductors especially with this arrangement of dots but not sure how to apply that. voltage drop normally across the inductor would be Vk=j400(I1-I2) but not sure with this arrangement.

Without mutual inductance Vk=j400(I1-I2) would be correct, but there is mutual inductance M.

The voltage drop across L1 is due to the current in L1 and the current in L2. What is the current in L2 and how does it affect the voltage across L1?

The voltage sources will not appear in your equation. You are dealing with the currents i1, i2 and/or i3 only.

I am guessing its jw(L1(I1-I2)+M(I2)) based on a similar equation in my book. Would this be right? M I got as k*sqrt(L1*L2)=8. So j400I1+j400I2?

asdf12312 said:
I am guessing its jw(L1(I1-I2)+M(I2)) based on a similar equation in my book. Would this be right? M I got as k*sqrt(L1*L2)=8. So j400I1+j400I2?

Ah, yes, straight A!

Related to What is V(K) of inductor given coupling coefficent?

1. What is V(K) of an inductor?

V(K) refers to the voltage across an inductor, which is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically measured in volts (V).

2. How is V(K) of an inductor calculated?

The voltage across an inductor can be calculated using the formula V(K) = L(di/dt), where L is the inductance in henries (H) and di/dt is the rate of change of the current flowing through the inductor.

3. What is the coupling coefficient of an inductor?

The coupling coefficient of an inductor is a measure of the magnetic coupling between two inductors in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol k and ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 representing perfect coupling and 0 representing no coupling.

4. How does the coupling coefficient affect V(K) of an inductor?

The coupling coefficient affects V(K) of an inductor by determining the amount of energy transferred between the two inductors. A higher coupling coefficient results in a higher V(K) and a lower coupling coefficient results in a lower V(K).

5. Can the coupling coefficient of an inductor be changed?

Yes, the coupling coefficient of an inductor can be changed by adjusting the physical distance and orientation between the two inductors in a circuit. It can also be changed by altering the number of turns or the core material of the inductors.