What is (∂u ∕∂x)dx in the expression for mass flow rate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for mass flow rate and the meaning of multiplying (∂u ∕∂x)dx in the equation. The explanation includes scenarios for incompressible and compressible fluids and how the velocity gradient affects the calculation.
Madonmaths
Hi

I have seen the expression for mass flow rate in one of the problems I am working on. I used to simply apply the expression for calculating the mass flow rate with respect to the position as (ρu + (∂u ∕∂x)dx) dy dz). ρ, u are density and velocity component respectively.

I would like to understand the exact meaning of multiplication of (∂u ∕∂x)dx.
I expect a good explanation as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Madguy

Physics news on Phys.org
Madonmaths said:
Hi

I have seen the expression for mass flow rate in one of the problems I am working on. I used to simply apply the expression for calculating the mass flow rate with respect to the position as (ρu + (∂u ∕∂x)dx) dy dz). ρ, u are density and velocity component respectively.

I would like to understand the exact meaning of multiplication of (∂u ∕∂x)dx.
I expect a good explanation as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Madguy
(ρu + (∂u ∕∂x)dx) should be ρ(u + (∂u ∕∂x)dx), if the fluid is incompressible or (ρu + (∂ρu ∕∂x)dx) if ρ = ρ(x), which would imply the fluid is compressible (or changing temperature).

(∂u ∕∂x)dx = du, and ∂u ∕∂x is just the velocity gradient, i.e. u is not constant with x (position or displacement). This could be because the fluid is compressible or the cross-section (normal to flow) is changing.

Hi Astronyc

Thanks for your explanations!

Related to What is (∂u ∕∂x)dx in the expression for mass flow rate?

What is a PDE expression?

A PDE expression, or partial differential equation expression, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to describe how a function changes in multiple variables.

Why are PDE expressions important?

PDE expressions are important because they are used to model real-world phenomena in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to understand how a system changes over time and space.

What are some common types of PDE expressions?

Some common types of PDE expressions include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation. These equations are used to describe the behavior of heat, waves, and potential fields, respectively.

How do you solve a PDE expression?

Solving a PDE expression involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and any given boundary conditions. This can be done analytically, using mathematical techniques, or numerically, using computational methods.

What are the applications of PDE expressions?

PDE expressions have a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including predicting the weather, designing aircrafts, and modeling chemical reactions. They are also used in financial mathematics to price options and derivatives.