What is transversity and transverse spin?

In summary, the conversation discusses the term "transversity" in relation to the COMPASS project, which aims to solve the "proton spin crisis." Transversity is the difference between the probability of finding a quark with a certain spin vs. the opposite spin, and can be measured as a function of x_B or Q^2. It is affected by relativistic effects due to the direction of the probe and the Lorentz contraction of the hadron.
tatiana_eggs
I am reading through http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/29662" article for a paper and ran across the term transversity. I did some google searching but didn't come up with anything I could understand. I think it might be linked with transverse spin but I am also having trouble getting clarification on what that is. I know what spin is, and I'm wondering if it's just spin along a latitude instead of a longitude.

My ultimate goal is to be able to explain what these guys are doing on the COMPASS project. I understand their aim is to try to solve the "proton spin crisis" and I have a pretty good understanding of what that is from some other articles I've read. So if you happen to have knowledge of that experiment as well as transversity and transverse spin, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are probing a hadron with a lepton, and you can work in the approximation where a single virtual photon is exchanged. Say the virtual photon is along the horizontal direction. Basically, transversity is the following quantity :
mulders_h1t.jpg

So if your hadron is polarized upwards, it's the difference between the probability of finding a quark polarized upwards minus the probability of finding a quark polarized downwards.

Transversity can be measured as a function of [itex]x_B[/itex] (x-Bjorken), the fraction of longitudinal momentum carried by the active quark. It can also be measured as a function of the resolution of your probe, or "wavelength" of the virtual photon, usually written [itex]Q^2[/itex], the opposite of the invariant mass of the virtual photon (it is positive in this regime).

The point is that it will not be the same as if the green and red arrows above both point horizontally (the direction of the probe), because it is a relativistic effect and there is essentially an infinite boost along the horizontal direction (the Lorentz contraction make your hadron look like a pancake).

Related to What is transversity and transverse spin?

What is transversity?

Transversity is a fundamental property of quarks, which are elementary particles that make up protons and neutrons. It describes the spin orientation of a quark relative to the direction of its motion.

What is transverse spin?

Transverse spin is the component of a particle's spin that is perpendicular to its direction of motion. In other words, it is the spin that is not aligned with the direction the particle is moving.

Why is transversity important in particle physics?

Transversity is important because it provides insight into the internal structure of protons and neutrons. By studying how quarks' spins are aligned or anti-aligned with their direction of motion, scientists can better understand the strong nuclear force that binds these particles together.

How is transversity measured?

Transversity is typically measured by looking at the angular distribution of particles produced in high-energy particle collisions. By analyzing the patterns of particle scattering, scientists can infer the spin orientations of the quarks involved.

What are some potential applications of transversity research?

Transversity research has potential applications in a wide range of fields, such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and materials science. Understanding transversity could also lead to advancements in technologies such as quantum computing and superconductivity.