How durable are Nokia phones?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: GSM...carriers.In summary, Jordan has a high usage of mobile phones compared to its population. People here change their handphones about twice a month. Motorola V.2288 is a problem because batteries are hard to come by. The best mobile provider is Verizon.
Saint
I lost my old Sagem hp, after that I bought a new SonyEricsson T100 (US$90 in malaysia).
It has WAP function, but I don't subscribe to it.

What handphone are you using ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Motorola V2288. GSM and FM radio - for those long waits in the bus station.

Siemans A50 - I am a cheapskate.

I had a Siemens SL45i, but i had it only for 28 hours , i sold it cause i didn't really like the idea of having a mobile !
Jordan (where i am) is one of the countries that use mobile phones the most in the world comparing to the population.
Here, a person changes his handphone like ... twice a month !

My mother has a Motorola V.2288 , but the biggest problem you face with this model (at least here) is batteries, you can't find batteries for it easily (and its batteries are kind of bad).

Originally posted by STAii

My mother has a Motorola V.2288 , but the biggest problem you face with this model (at least here) is batteries, you can't find batteries for it easily (and its batteries are kind of bad).

kinda true :frown:. my first set of batteries broke pretty soon after I got it. But the ones I had now are almost a year old and they still work. I don't know if they still make batteries so I hope for another year or so...

Jordan (where i am) is one of the countries that use mobile phones the most in the world comparing to the population. Here, a person changes his handphone like ... twice a month !

you must have a looooot of mobiles there

er i have three
a nokia 3210
a sagem my - x5
a samsung v200

but i love all of them equally.

Now why do you need 3 different phones?

Anyhow, does anyone know of any US carrier besides T-mobile that has GSM capability? I have friends in other countries and I need a GSM standard phone to text them.

Cheese, I started out with a cell phone back in 1992, an 450lb (kidding) unit that leaked EMR. Fun stuff.

My last one was Sanyo from Telus mobility, still have it, but no money, no airtime!

I've had Sanyo's and a Nokia, and have used lots of other kinds over time.

you must have a looooot of mobiles there
Well yes, but eventually most people buy a mobile that is used for some days, so not all bought mobiles are new.
The problem comes when you look how much the individual pays for his mobile, and his mobile's bills, you will see that MORE than 50% of the person's income goes to communications (mobiles, internet, phone bills ... etc), this is a good reason while Jordan is not investing lot of money in IT and Communications.
Anyhow, does anyone know of any US carrier besides T-mobile that has GSM capability? I have friends in other countries and I need a GSM standard phone to text them.
If you mean like sending SMS, you can do that right from the web, see ICQ .

If you mean like sending SMS, you can do that right from the web, see ICQ .

I know about that, but I need something mobile so I can use SMS on the go. I guess T-mobile is it for now.

Originally posted by Zantra

http://www.gsmworld.com/news/press_2002/press_12_pl47.shtml [Broken]
you can also search for more on the same site (I didn't have the time :frown: ) it's pretty good for GSM related news

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Saint
I lost my old Sagem hp, after that I bought a new SonyEricsson T100 (US$90 in malaysia).
It has WAP function, but I don't subscribe to it.

What handphone are you using ?

Nobody calls it a handphone lame-o. Their called cellphones or mobile phones... but never handphones.

The only decent cellphone company is Nokia. Never buy from Sony or Samsung... they truly suck.

eNtRopY

I've found Nokia phones can take a lot of abuse too. Very useful when falling down the stairs in a drunken heap.

I own an audiovox model, two nokia models, a samsung model, and two motorola models.

I can't recall which ones they are exactly. I can tell you that the nokia I have liked the best, tho, followed by the motorola models, then samsung and finally audiovox, although none of them truly suck.

I will mention for those of you in the US...verizon is the best provider. Get a verizon service...you'll never be sorry.

ATT was good too, with the worst being sprint (due to coverage). T-mobile is making a strong showing though...but still not as good as the big V.

three phones becuase:

one for work

one for personnel use

one sitting in adraw as a spare

see easy to justify having three phones when you think about it.

try and guess which one sits in the draw

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Nobody calls it a handphone lame-o. Their called cellphones or mobile phones... but never handphones.

The only decent cellphone company is Nokia. Never buy from Sony or Samsung... they truly suck.

eNtRopY
Well, aren't mobiles part of the handheld devices ?

Originally posted by Considering
I own an audiovox model, two nokia models, a samsung model, and two motorola models.

cool, you must own the record so far :wink:

I'll try... samsung?

Well, aren't mobiles part of the handheld devices ?

English mother ****er, do you speak it? Pulp Fiction (1995)

eNtRopY

Originally posted by drdeath
three phones becuase:

one for work

one for personnel use

one sitting in adraw as a spare

see easy to justify having three phones when you think about it.

My company's too cheap to pay for a cell. Which is why they don't get my own cell #, but that's fine. Just another leash to reel me in on. Pager's much better "oops I think my battery went dead" hehehe

sorry threepwood your wrong.

the samsung is brand new and is the one i use for personnel use cos it has a digital camera built into it, as well as looking cool and staring in the matrix reloaded.

the sagem x5 is my work phone cos they only my cheap middle range phones, but its ok for calls, text, wap, and it has a colour screen and hi-fi ringtones.

so its the really old nokia 3210 that's in the draw and only gets used as an emergency spare phone if both the others are being repaired (which hasnt happened so far).

and other here in the uk they are called "mobiles" plain and simple.

http://www.gsmarena.com/index.php3?sRedir=http://www.gsmarena.com/phone.php3?idPhone=92 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Lonewolf
I've found Nokia phones can take a lot of abuse too. Very useful when falling down the stairs in a drunken heap.
Agree! I have a Nokia mobile phone and dropped it carelessly on hard concrete floor with a "loud" bang, I thought that was the end of its life and part of its shell was broken. Well, I'm still using it.

1. What are the most important features to consider when choosing a handphone?

The most important features to consider when choosing a handphone include the operating system, screen size and resolution, battery life, camera quality, and storage capacity. These features will determine the overall performance and user experience of the handphone.

2. How does the handphone's operating system affect its functionality?

The operating system (OS) is the software that runs the handphone and manages its hardware and software resources. Different operating systems have different interfaces, app availability, and security features, which can greatly impact the overall functionality of the handphone.

3. What is the difference between a feature phone and a smartphone?

A feature phone is a basic mobile device that allows users to make calls and send text messages. It typically has limited features and is not as advanced as a smartphone. On the other hand, a smartphone has a more advanced operating system, larger screen size, and access to a wider range of apps, making it a more versatile and powerful device.

4. How important is battery life when choosing a handphone?

Battery life is a crucial factor to consider when choosing a handphone, as it determines how long the device can be used before needing to be charged. It is especially important for those who use their handphone frequently, as a longer battery life means less interruptions and inconvenience.

5. What is the difference between internal storage and expandable storage in a handphone?

Internal storage refers to the built-in storage capacity of a handphone, while expandable storage refers to the option to add additional storage through external memory cards. Internal storage is typically more reliable and faster, while expandable storage offers more flexibility and can be easily upgraded if needed.