What is this notation? I haven't seen it before

In summary, the equation X5(p,α)X6 represents the nuclear reaction of He-4 building from four protons and decaying by positron emission to produce alpha particles and He-4.
Alucard
X5(p,α)X6

This is an equation/part of a question in my nuclear physics unit, where X5 represents the reactant nucleus and X6 is the product nucleus. The alpha symbol is most likely alpha decay, but I have no idea what it means in conjunction with 'p' like that. The rest of the question is:
In the carbon cycle that occurs on the Sun, He-4 is built from four protons and
C-12. First, C-12 absorbs a proton to form a nucleus, X1. Then X1 decays by
positron emission to X2, which then absorbs a proton to become X3, which itself
absorbs a proton to become X4. X4 then decays to X5 by positron decay and X5
reacts via: X5(p,α)X6

It's from the Walding Physics textbook if anyone has it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alucard said:
X5(p,α)X6

This is an equation/part of a question in my nuclear physics unit, where X5 represents the reactant nucleus and X6 is the product nucleus. The alpha symbol is most likely alpha decay, but I have no idea what it means in conjunction with 'p' like that. The rest of the question is:
In the carbon cycle that occurs on the Sun, He-4 is built from four protons and
C-12. First, C-12 absorbs a proton to form a nucleus, X1. Then X1 decays by
positron emission to X2, which then absorbs a proton to become X3, which itself
absorbs a proton to become X4. X4 then decays to X5 by positron decay and X5
reacts via: X5(p,α)X6

It's from the Walding Physics textbook if anyone has it.
It's a shorthand form for a nuclear reaction. There's an explanation here on page 2:

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/ch374/ch418518/Chapter 10 NUCLEAR REACTIONS.pdf

It's basically T (P,x) R which is short for:

Target nucleus + Projectile → x (emitted particle) + Residual nucleus

Likes Alucard
X5(p,α)X6

X5 + proton -> alpha particle + X6

Likes Alucard

Related to What is this notation? I haven't seen it before

1. What does this notation mean?

The notation in question may refer to a specific scientific symbol or formula that is used to represent a concept or relationship in a particular field of study. It is important to consult relevant resources, such as textbooks or online databases, to understand the meaning and usage of the notation.

2. Where can I find information about this notation?

The best place to find information about a specific notation is to consult scientific literature or reputable online sources that are relevant to the field of study. It is also helpful to consult experts or colleagues who are familiar with the notation.

3. How do I read this notation?

Reading scientific notation requires an understanding of the symbols and conventions used in a particular field of study. It is important to consult resources that explain the meaning and usage of the notation, and to practice interpreting it with guidance from experts or colleagues.

4. Can you explain this notation to me?

While I may not be an expert in the specific field of study, I can try to help clarify the meaning and usage of the notation based on my knowledge and experience as a scientist. However, it is best to consult resources and experts in the relevant field for a more comprehensive explanation.

5. Why is this notation important?

The use of notation in science is crucial for communication and understanding within a particular field of study. It allows for complex concepts and relationships to be represented in a concise and standardized manner, making it easier for scientists to share and build upon knowledge. Additionally, the use of notation allows for more efficient and accurate calculations and data analysis.