What Is This Mysterious Physics Equipment?

• Thread starter badteddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary: Lindsey uploaded pictures of all the equipment to a Google Docs account. -Someone needs a Google Docs account to view the pictures. -Some of the equipment is from previous professors and no one knows about it anymore. -Some of the equipment is from the physics department's equipment room, which is part of the job of cataloging the equipment. -Some of the equipment is from the physics department's equipment room, which is part of the job of cataloging the equipment. -Someone needs to upload pictures of the equipment as attachments to a Google Docs account. -Some of the equipment is from the physics department's equipment room, which is part of the job of cataloging the
badteddy
I'm working for the physics department this summer and I've been tasked with cataloging our equipment room. Part of this job involves identifying equipment used by previous professors but that no one knows about anymore. Could I get assistance in identifying some of these items or the labs that they might be used for?

Here are pictures of all the equipment:
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B40qb-5Nbo80ZmNjNDFjNWMtZTAwMS00Nzk4LWJmY2QtYTJiNjEzYjA5Y2Jj&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
badteddy said:
I'm working for the physics department this summer and I've been tasked with cataloging our equipment room. Part of this job involves identifying equipment used by previous professors but that no one knows about anymore. Could I get assistance in identifying some of these items or the labs that they might be used for?

Here are pictures of all the equipment:
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B40qb-5Nbo80ZmNjNDFjNWMtZTAwMS00Nzk4LWJmY2QtYTJiNjEzYjA5Y2Jj&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Welcome to the PF. It looks like folks would need a Google Docs account to view those pictures. Can you upload PDFs or JPGs as attachments?

Whoops, my bad. I think this link will work with much better success:
http://picasaweb.google.com/theodore.lindsey/PhysicsEquipment?feat=directlink

PS. Thanks for the speedy response.

Wow, that's some antique stuff!

The only one I think I can help with is photo #4/9. It looks like a lab demo box for experimenting with Lowpass and Highpass filter characteristics. You get either Lowpass or Highpass output characteristic, depending on whether you use the top rail or the bottom rail as the ground reference. Input from the signal generator is at the left.

So it would appear that #4 and #9 are part of the same lab?It sure is old. That isn't even the most ancient stuff I'm finding while digging through the equipment room here. Perhaps one of the most amusing is a synchronous spark timer that has a note on it stating that it worked dated 1980. It appears that I'm the first to go through some of the really old stuff in quite some time.

I found one more item that puzzled me: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/a0ZdcLtom55IduX9T1uW9g?feat=directlink
It appears to be some sort of motor...

My guess for some of the items:
Image 712 - at least one of them looks like an instrument for measuring the angle of magnetic declination (if the needle is magnetic)

Image 731 - a parallel plate capacitor. At least one plate can be moved by using the Plexiglas handle.

Image 736 - some sort of electroscope

Image 740 - Used to study buoyant force, maybe. Is there any outlet on the other side of the big sphere? Something to connect it to a pump?

I agree with nasu's guesses(items 2 are actually called dip circles)
In addition I think that item 6 is a variable spark gap(needs to be connected to a suitable supply eg an induction coil) and item 10 is a motor/generator.

Item 8 could be a leyden jar.

Last edited:
Item # 10 is a low voltage dc electric motor, possibly pre - 1900. It is series-connected and reversible. Look for a manufacturer's name on it. Do not put excess voltage on it. It is probably rated at 3 to 6 volts. The commutator is probably very dirty and oxidized, and does not conduct. Measure resistances, and do not exceed 1 amp (I = V/R).

Bob S

Item #2 appears to be three compasses, that can move in both vertical and horizontal directions (not at the same time).

Vanadium 50 said:
Item #2 appears to be three compasses, that can move in both vertical and horizontal directions (not at the same time).

Yes they are called dip circles.In my post above I referred to item three instead of two.Having reading your post I had another look and corrected my mistake.

Thanks for all your help. Once I knew what I was looking for, I was able to confirm each of those items and have had great success with the project. Thanks again for your help.

-Theodore

Related to What Is This Mysterious Physics Equipment?

1. What is the purpose of this equipment?

The purpose of the equipment can vary depending on the specific type of equipment. Some common purposes include measuring, analyzing, or manipulating materials or data.

2. How does this equipment work?

The exact workings of the equipment will depend on the specific type, but generally, equipment uses various mechanisms, sensors, or software to perform its intended purpose.

3. What are the key features and capabilities of this equipment?

The key features and capabilities of equipment can vary greatly. Some important factors to consider are its accuracy, precision, speed, and compatibility with other equipment or software.

4. How do I properly use and maintain this equipment?

Proper usage and maintenance of equipment are crucial for obtaining accurate and reliable results. It is important to carefully read the user manual and follow all instructions for usage and maintenance.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should be aware of when using this equipment?

Safety precautions may vary depending on the specific equipment, but it is important to always follow proper safety protocols when using any type of equipment. This may include wearing protective gear, avoiding certain materials, or being trained on the proper usage of the equipment.