What is this equipment I just found?

• Thread starter davedude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary, this is a gyroscope from an aircraft, possibly from a guidance system. It is old and may have been removed from the aircraft some time ago. There is no code or marking on it that would help identify it further.
davedude
Found this in a back cabinet. It's old. I think the case was taken off. Anyone have an idea of what it is.

b4GR9XK.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post pictures from different angles? And maybe put some common item or a ruler next to it to show its scale... :smile:

What does the label say? Are there any other labels? Any other markings at all? My first guess is that it's the heart of a TARDIS.

Here are some new pictures of it.
HslDr34.jpg

7zSCmDz.jpg

LMJDOwD.jpg

iqm6GHL.jpg

It looks like the center part is free to rotate some in the outer frame? If so, by how much?

And in that last picture, can you zoom in on the white label near the base? Is it a calibration sticker?

It has the ability to rotate 360 from 3 different sections, so in all directions.

KNBvPMh.jpg

ciQETWD.jpg

DanZkyQ.jpg

davedude said:
It has the ability to rotate 360 from 3 different sections, so in all directions.

Like a 3-axis gyroscope?

Yes, I believe so

It looks like a gyroscope used for aircraft attitude control, such as an artificial horizon. It could also be from a tank or mobile gun. The gyroscope is mounted in servo driven gimbals that maintains the initial orientation of the gyroscope. A synchro transmitter on each axis sends a multi-phase signal that reports the angular position of the gyroscope module within the gimbals for each axis. It therefore gives the orientation of the vehicle / aircraft.

Power and signals are routed through slip-rings through each gimbal rotational axis. It has servo-motor driven gimbals, to overcome the friction of those connections across the gimbal bearings. Any slight error in the position of the gyroscope within the central module is detected and fed to a servo motor that will cancel that error and so maintain orientation of the gyroscope.

Likes berkeman
The synchro transmitters were made by Clifton Precision, a division of Litton Industries Inc. They were not necessarily the manufacturer of the complete unit.
The code number we need for a positive identification is probably written on the cover that is face down on the bench top. We don't need a photo, just the text.
I am sure it must be a directional gyro.

Last edited:
Manufacturer 06481. Part 657650.

06481 was the manufacturer cage code for "Litton Systems Inc, Guidance And Control Systems Div".
Now merged to become “Northrop Grumman. Guidance and Control Systems”.

Google 'Litton 657650' leads to the “LN-12 inertial guidance platform and associated G-200 gyroscope”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LN-3_Inertial_Navigation_System
The LN-12 units were built and tested in the 1970s. (There are two orthogonal gyros inside the canister).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LN-3_Inertial_Navigation_System#Genealogy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_navigation_system
All these directional gyro units will have been removed from scrapped aircraft or replaced with triaxial fibre optic gyroscope units that have no moving parts. That would explain why it has been put aside and forgotten.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre_optic_gyroscope

Likes berkeman
Wow, thanks!

Related to What is this equipment I just found?

1. What is this equipment used for?

This equipment is used for [insert purpose here]. It is designed to [insert function here] and is commonly used in [insert field or industry here].

2. How does this equipment work?

This equipment works by [insert explanation of mechanism or process here]. It typically requires [insert power source or input here] to function properly.

3. Is this equipment safe to use?

Yes, this equipment is safe to use as long as it is used according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to follow all safety precautions and wear appropriate protective gear when using this equipment.

4. How do I operate this equipment?

To operate this equipment, [insert step-by-step instructions here]. It is important to familiarize yourself with the equipment and its controls before use.

5. Can this equipment be repaired if it breaks?

It depends on the type and extent of the damage. Some equipment can be repaired, while others may need to be replaced. If you encounter any issues with this equipment, it is best to consult with a professional for repairs or replacement options.