What is the work done by gas, given V, T and P

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done when heating a gas with constant pressure from 0°C to 100°C. The relevant equations for this process are V1/T1=V2/T2 and W=\int P\,dV. The final result, after converting and substituting values, is a volume of 0.683 m3. It is also noted that the product of pressure and volume yields energy, and therefore the work done can be calculated as PΔV.
arddi2007

Homework Statement

0.5 m3 of air is located in a vessel. Their temperature is T1=0oC and the pressure is p=3·105. What work will be done when heating the gas with constant pressure (isobaric process) to T2=100oC?

Homework Equations

I was unable to find any equation regarding to the work done by gases. This is a part of physics I'm not so good at. But these equations might be useful too:

Isobaric process (with constant pressure):

V1/T1=V2/T2

From that equation we can find the value of V2.

The Attempt at a Solution

V1/T1=V2/T2
V2=V1T2/T1

After converting and substituting the values, we get the value of V2:

V2=0.683 m3.

Still, I am unable to find any relevant equation for work done by gases and I would appreciate any help. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
arddi2007 said:
Still, I am unable to find any relevant equation for work done by gases and I would appreciate any help.

The work done is [itex]W=\int P\,dV[/itex]. You really couldn't even find this with an Internet search?

It's handy to remember, in terms of the units involved, that the product of pressure and volume yields energy. That is, N/m2 x m3 --> Nm --> Joules.

So if pressure is kept the same, the work done will be PΔV.

Related to What is the work done by gas, given V, T and P

What is the work done by gas?

The work done by gas is a measure of the energy transferred to or from the gas as it expands or contracts under a constant pressure.

What factors are needed to calculate the work done by gas?

The work done by gas can be calculated using the gas's volume, temperature, and pressure.

How is the work done by gas calculated?

The work done by gas is calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by gas?

The unit of measurement for work done by gas is joules (J), which is the same unit used for energy.

What is the sign convention for work done by gas?

The sign convention for work done by gas is positive when the gas expands (volume increases) and negative when the gas contracts (volume decreases).