What is the Width of the Antenna for Optimizing TV Reception on Channel 10?

In summary, the half wavelength "dipole" loop roof television antenna is optimized for electromagnetic waves with a wavelength twice its width. To optimize TV reception for channel 10, the antenna should be constructed with a width equal to half the wavelength of the 200 MHz signal. The formula for wavelength (λ) and frequency (ν) is λν = c.
Okazaki

Homework Statement

The half wavelength "dipole" loop roof television antenna is most sensitive to electromagnetic waves with a wavelength twice the width of the antenna. The frequency of the waves for TV channel 10 is 200 MHz. If you want to optimize the TV reception for channel 10, how wide would you construct this antenna?

Homework Equations

f = v/λ = ω/(2π) = n (v/2L)
v = ω/k = λ/T = λf

The Attempt at a Solution

No matter how hard I try, everything keeps cancelling out. I just can't do this problem!

ω = 2πf
T = 1/f
k = vω
v = 2Lω/(2πn)
= Lω/(πn)

But now, there are just too many unknowns. I don't even know where to begin to substitute. :/ I'm just so frustrated right now. Waves are killing me. I have like, three problems left in this homework assignment, and none of them make sense to me (so I can't skip this one and move on.)

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the wavelength of the 200 MHz signal?
Then it says the antenna width should be half the wavelength of the signal.
What could be simpler?

Likes Okazaki and berkeman
rude man said:
What's the wavelength of the 200 MHz signal?
Then it says the antenna width should be half the wavelength of the signal.
What could be simpler?

Oh, λν = c.

Literally, the one formula not in my book.

Okazaki said:
Oh, λν = c.

Literally, the one formula not in my book.
C'mon, has to be! :smile:

Likes Okazaki

Related to What is the Width of the Antenna for Optimizing TV Reception on Channel 10?

What is the purpose of finding the width of an antenna?

The width of an antenna is an important aspect of its design and functionality. It determines the range and direction of signal transmission and reception, as well as the efficiency and directionality of the antenna.

What is the process for finding the width of an antenna?

The width of an antenna can be determined through various methods, such as measuring the physical dimensions of the antenna, using mathematical calculations based on the frequency of the signal, or conducting simulations using specialized software.

Why is it important to accurately measure the width of an antenna?

An accurate measurement of the antenna width is crucial in ensuring optimal performance and avoiding any interference with other antennas or electronic devices. It also helps to determine the proper placement and orientation of the antenna for effective signal transmission and reception.

What factors can affect the width of an antenna?

The width of an antenna can be affected by various factors, including the type and shape of the antenna, the frequency of the signal, the materials used in its construction, and any nearby objects or obstacles that may interfere with the signal.

How can the width of an antenna be adjusted or optimized?

The width of an antenna can be adjusted or optimized through various methods, such as changing the length or shape of the antenna, using different materials, or implementing additional components such as reflectors or directors. This process may require extensive testing and experimentation to achieve the desired results.