What is the weight of my table using only one scale?

In summary, the person is trying to weigh a table and has trouble understanding the problem. The person has broken the problem down into three parts: the weight on the left side, the weight on the right side, and the weight at the center of gravity. The person then tries to solve the problem by adding the two weights. If the height of the scale is negligible, the person can just add the readings. If there is something problematic on the table, the person can turn it upside down and measure the weight directly.
eddyq
I have a table and I want to get the weight of the table. I only have one scale. I weighed the left side then the right side. I believe this is a simple statics problem but I can't figure it out. I have broken this down into this:

A beam with points A, CG, and B. A is the left side, B is the right side and CG is the center of gravity. L is the length of the beam. Assume the angle of the beam is negligible while pivoting. While B is a pivot, the force on A (weight on the scale) is Fa and the moment would be L*Fa. While A is a pivot, the force on B is Fb (weight on the scale) and the moment would be L*Fb. And while A and B are not pivots then the force at CG would be the weight of the beam and the sum of those moments would be 0.

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the height of the scale is negligible, you can just add the readings - that's the total force needed to keep in on the ground. With a relevant height of the scale it is more work.

If there is nothing problematic on the table, what about turning it upside down for a direct measurement?

Thanks, I thought the presence of the pivot point would skew the end weights. I would turn it upside down but it is my wife's antique writing desk and she would kill me if I scratched it.

If you want to just add the two weights, you need to keep the table level for both weighings. If you used something like bathroom scales, just use some books etc to raise the other end of the table, then swap over the books and the scale for the second weighing.

Or you want to live dangerously, lift up the other end of the table till it is just on the point of toppling over. In that position, the center of mass will be directly above the scale, and the scale will read the full weight of the table. But if it is a fragile antique, doing this might snap the table legs!

Thanks for all your help. I was trying to make an easy thing hard.

Related to What is the weight of my table using only one scale?

1. How do you determine the weight of a table?

The weight of a table can be determined by using a scale to measure its total weight. Alternatively, you can calculate the weight by multiplying the density of the material the table is made of by its volume.

2. What tools are needed to determine the weight of a table?

To determine the weight of a table, you will need a scale, measuring tape, and a calculator. The scale will be used to measure the weight, the measuring tape to determine the dimensions, and the calculator to calculate the weight using the density and volume formula.

3. Can the weight of a table vary based on its material?

Yes, the weight of a table can vary based on the material it is made of. Different materials have different densities, which will affect the weight of the table. For example, a wooden table will weigh less than a metal table of the same size due to the difference in density.

4. Does the shape of a table affect its weight?

Yes, the shape of a table can affect its weight. A table with a larger surface area will weigh more than a smaller one of the same material, as it will have a larger volume. Additionally, the thickness of the table's legs and top can also impact its weight.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when determining the weight of a table?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when determining the weight of a table. If using a scale, make sure it is on a flat and stable surface to avoid any accidents. When measuring the dimensions of the table, use caution when handling sharp edges or corners. And if calculating the weight, make sure to use accurate measurements to avoid incorrect results.