What is the wavelength of the helium-neon laser beam in the unknown liquid?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam in an unknown liquid. The laser beam has a wavelength of 633nm in air and takes 1.38 ns to travel through 30cm of the liquid. The individual suggests using the index of refraction formula to solve for the unknown liquid, but is unsure if additional information is needed. The other person encourages them to use the given time and distance measurements to find the wavelength in the liquid.
allstar16
A helium-neon laser beam has a wavelength in air of 633nm. It takes 1.38 ns for the light to travel through 30cm of an unknown liquid.
What is the wavelength of the laser beam in the liquid?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you think you might be able to solve this? What are your thoughts?

First i thought to solve for the index of refraction for the unknown liquid, by using n=c/v, but i think i need more info to solve it, that's were I am stuck

You shouldn't need any more information. Look at what you are given. You have a time to travel a certain distance. What can you find with this information?

Related to What is the wavelength of the helium-neon laser beam in the unknown liquid?

What is the wavelength of a helium-neon laser?

The wavelength of a helium-neon laser is typically 632.8 nanometers.

How is the wavelength of a helium-neon laser determined?

The wavelength of a helium-neon laser is determined by the energy levels of the electrons in the helium and neon atoms. When the electrons transition from higher energy levels to lower energy levels, they emit photons with a specific wavelength.

Can the wavelength of a helium-neon laser be adjusted?

Yes, the wavelength of a helium-neon laser can be adjusted by changing the amount of energy supplied to the gas mixture, which in turn affects the energy levels of the electrons.

What is the significance of the wavelength in a helium-neon laser?

The wavelength of a helium-neon laser determines the color of the laser beam. It also affects the laser's ability to interact with certain materials and its overall effectiveness for certain applications.

How does the wavelength of a helium-neon laser compare to other types of lasers?

The wavelength of a helium-neon laser is longer than that of other common lasers, such as ruby or argon lasers. This longer wavelength makes helium-neon lasers useful for applications that require a lower amount of energy, such as barcode scanners and laser printers.