What is the wavelength of light in water when it enters a swimming pool?

In summary, the wavelength of light in water is 0.700 times shorter than the wavelength of light in air. This can be derived by using the equation v = c/n, where n is the index of refraction of water (1.33) and solving for the wavelength in water using the speed of light in air (299,704,644.54 m/s). The frequency of the light remains unchanged when it travels from one medium to another.
Soojin

Homework Statement

"Light of wavelength 0.527 µm (in air) enters the water in a swimming pool. The speed of light in water is 0.700 times the speed in air. What is the wavelength of the light in water?"

Homework Equations

v = c /n, where n = 1.33 ,the index of refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

The wavelength of light in air is given. [tex]\lambda[/tex]=0.527
I looked up the speed of light in air -- 299704644.54 m/s
I also know that the speed of light in water is 0.700(299704644.54)

I am not sure how to relate these numbers to v = c/n though, or the equation to use to find the [tex]\lambda[/tex] of light in water. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relationship between speed, wavelength, and frequency for any wave? Which of those parameters remains unchanged when light travels from one medium to another?

Doc Al said:
What's the relationship between speed, wavelength, and frequency for any wave? Which of those parameters remains unchanged when light travels from one medium to another?

frequency = v / [tex]\lambda[/tex], so I would think the frequency would be left unchanged.

So I'm thinking I could do:

f = (speed of light in air)/0.527

to solve for the frequency, then use that value to solve for the wavelength of light in water?

Soojin said:
frequency = v / [tex]\lambda[/tex], so I would think the frequency would be left unchanged.
Good.

So I'm thinking I could do:

f = (speed of light in air)/0.527

to solve for the frequency, then use that value to solve for the wavelength of light in water?
OK, but even easier is to realize that the ratio v/λ must remain fixed, so λ decreases by the same factor that the speed decreases.

Related to What is the wavelength of light in water when it enters a swimming pool?

What is the "wavelength of light in water"?

The wavelength of light in water refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a light wave as it travels through water. It is measured in nanometers (nm) and is influenced by the properties of water such as temperature, salinity, and depth.

Why is the wavelength of light in water important?

The wavelength of light in water is important because it affects how light behaves and is perceived in aquatic environments. Different wavelengths of light are absorbed, scattered, or reflected differently in water, which impacts the color and visibility of objects underwater. It also plays a crucial role in the photosynthesis process for aquatic plants and algae.

How does the wavelength of light in water differ from that in air?

The wavelength of light in water is shorter than that in air. This is due to the higher refractive index of water compared to air, which causes light to travel slower and bend more as it passes through water. As a result, different colors of light are refracted at different angles, leading to the distortion of objects seen underwater.

Can the wavelength of light in water be measured?

Yes, the wavelength of light in water can be measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the absorption and transmission of light at different wavelengths. It can also be estimated using the Beer-Lambert Law, which relates the concentration of a substance in water to the amount of light it absorbs at a specific wavelength.

How does the wavelength of light in water vary at different depths?

The wavelength of light in water decreases as depth increases. This is because as light travels deeper into water, it is scattered and absorbed by particles and molecules, leading to a decrease in intensity and a shift towards shorter wavelengths. This phenomenon is known as "blue light scattering" and is the reason why objects appear bluer the deeper they are in water.