What is the vertical acceleration of the projectile?

In summary, using the given data points and the formula Vav=d/t, the vertical acceleration of the projectile was determined to be -32.77cm/s/s. However, this is not the expected value of -82cm/s/s and further calculations may be needed to find the correct acceleration.
OblivionMage

Homework Statement

Find the vertical acceleration of the projectile using the following points of data:

y-axis:

each value is 0.10s from each other in the x-axis (a mark is was made on the plot every 0.1s)

I know that the acceleration will slightly lower than -82cm/s/s

*all values in cm

Homework Equations

Vav=d/t

Trend line of a V/t graph should give the acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get the Vav of each segment:

1st)

the Vav between 33.37cm and 32.87cm = d/t:

d = 32.87cm - 33.37cm
d = -0.5cm

t = 0.1s - 0.0s
t = 0.1s

Vav = -0.5cm/0.1s
Vav = -5cm/s

2nd

the Vav between 32.87cm and 31.72 = d/t:

d = 31.72cm - 32.87cm
d = -1.15cm

t = 0.2s - 0.1s
t = 0.1s

Vav = -1.15cm/0.1s
Vav = -11.5cm/s

The full list of values:

*all values in cm/s

the trend line would be:

-32.77cm/s which would somehow equal the acceleration?

It makes sense that the values are accelerating downwards, but they are not doing so quickly enough (as stated above, the acceleration should be around (below) -82cm/s/s).

I'm unsure of what to do next, I know that my acceleration was not cm/s/s, but I'm not sure how I would get there.

Any help is appreciated ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: (a) What is the total distance travelled?d = 33.37cm - 0.6cmd = 32.77cm(b) What is the time taken for the projectile to travel the 32.77cm?t = 32.77cm/Vavt = 32.77cm/-32.77cm/st = 1s

Related to What is the vertical acceleration of the projectile?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It measures how quickly an object's speed is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and has a curved path due to the influence of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a thrown baseball or a fired bullet.

4. How does acceleration affect projectiles?

Acceleration due to gravity affects the vertical motion of a projectile, causing it to accelerate downwards at a constant rate of -9.8 m/s^2. This means that the vertical velocity of a projectile increases or decreases by 9.8 m/s every second. However, in the absence of air resistance, the horizontal motion of a projectile is not affected by acceleration.

5. How can acceleration be used to predict the motion of projectiles?

By using the equations of motion and the principles of acceleration, we can predict the trajectory of a projectile. By knowing the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity, we can calculate the projectile's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time during its flight.