What is the Velocity of the Second Ship Relative to the First Ship?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the velocity of the second ship relative to the first ship as they passed each other. The solution involved using the relation V1 + r = V2 and taking components x and y to find the magnitude and direction of the velocity. The use of different variables such as v12, u, or w was suggested.
jwxie

Homework Statement

Two ships, one moving 15 degree west of north with a speed 25 mi/h., the second moving 25 degree south of west with a speed 20 mi/h. relative to water pass each other. Find the velocity of the second ship relative to the first ship (magnitude and direction).

Homework Equations

V1 + r = V2
V2 - V1 = r

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to confirm on this.

My approach is using this relation.
V1 + r = V2
and so V2 - V1 = r, where r is the velocity we are looking for of our problem.

Then I will take components, x and y, and find sqrt(x^2+y^2) and direction tan-1 y/x

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jwxie! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
jwxie said:
My approach is using this relation.
V1 + r = V2
and so V2 - V1 = r, where r is the velocity we are looking for of our problem.

Then I will take components, x and y, and find sqrt(x^2+y^2) and direction tan-1 y/x

Yes, that's exactly right! :smile:

(btw, I wouldn't use r, I'd stick to the same area of the alphabet, and use v12 or u or w :wink:)

Hi, tiny, thank you for your confirmation. My friend had an exam and he doubted about my explanation. Thank you!

I will make sure I check all the synatx ^^

Related to What is the Velocity of the Second Ship Relative to the First Ship?

1. What is simple relative motion?

Simple relative motion is the study of the relationship between the motion of two objects in relation to each other. It involves analyzing the speed, direction, and distance between the objects as they move.

2. How is simple relative motion different from absolute motion?

Absolute motion is the motion of an object in relation to a fixed point, while simple relative motion is the motion of an object in relation to another moving object. In simple relative motion, the motion of one object is described in terms of the other object's motion.

3. What are some examples of simple relative motion?

One example of simple relative motion is a person walking on a moving train. The person's motion is relative to the train's motion, rather than the ground's. Another example is a car passing by a stationary object, such as a sign or a tree. The car's motion is relative to the object's motion.

4. How is simple relative motion calculated?

To calculate simple relative motion, you need to know the velocities and directions of the two objects in relation to each other. You can then use vector addition or subtraction to determine the relative velocity and direction between the objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple relative motion?

Simple relative motion is important in fields such as transportation and navigation, where the motion of one object in relation to another is crucial. It is also used in sports, such as baseball, where the motion of a ball thrown towards a moving player is analyzed. Additionally, simple relative motion is essential in understanding the movement of planets and other celestial bodies in relation to each other.