What is the Velocity of a Projectile Using Kinematic Equations?

In summary: Then substitute the known data in the equation for t, and get the time t for x=5 m. Then calculate v=Vo cos(α) for the horizontal component of the velocity.In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity (v) from a given drawing using equations of kinematics. One person found a solution of v=12.134 m/s but was unsure if it was correct. Another person pointed out a mistake in the calculation and suggested accounting for initial vertical velocity. A third person suggested breaking the problem into two parts and using t as a common variable. However, this approach was also found to be incorrect. Finally, a fourth person suggested a simpler method based on the trajectory of the projectile, which involved finding the horizontal
kaspis245

Homework Statement

I need to find velocity v from the drawing.

Homework Equations

Equations of kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that v=12.134 m/s . I need to know is it correct.
[/B]
image.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake should be in the calculation of s2. Since you use the equation [itex]h=1/2gt_{2}^2[/itex] seems like you ignore the fact that the particle has vertical velocity [itex]v_{y}=gt_{1}/2[/itex] at that point. So it should be [itex]h=v_{y}t_{2}+1/2gt_{2}^2[/itex]

Likes kaspis245
I get a different answer.

Maybe you can verbally explain your reasoning?

paisiello2 said:
I get a different answer.

Maybe you can verbally explain your reasoning?
Delta means this:in order to find your time for s2, you find the time it takes to fall a distance h under gravity with an initial velocity (in the y direction) of zero. This will give you the wrong time. You need to account for the initial vertical velocity. Think: which takes longer to hit the ground: a ball shot straight forward or a ball shot upward at an initial positive angle above the horizontal?

I think it's a mistake to combine s1 and s2 the way you are doing because they depend on t^2.

The standard way to solve a problem like this is to break into two parts: Vx and Vy and use t as the common variable.

I understand my mistake, it should be h=vyt2+1/2gt22

Here's what I get:

image.jpg

Then I tried to solve it:

image.jpg

I think this answer is wrong. Please help!

By the way, I did solve this equation using Wolfram Alfa and got v=6,88 m/s.

Last edited:
You got drown in a spoon of water :D, you forgot the square root in the last step, the velocity is the square root of 47.4.

But i am not quite sure the initial equation ([itex]sg=2v_x^2+...[/itex] is correct can u show us how u derive it.

Ok i think it must be correct cause solving the problem with the "usual" aaproach described briefly by paisiello2 gives the same result.

Last edited:
Likes kaspis245
There is a much simpler method based on the trajectory of the projectile. The horizontal displacement (x) is x = Vo cos(α) t , the vertical displacement y - h= Vosin(α) t -g/2 t2. Eliminate the time t, you get the equation y(x) for the whole trajectory:
## y = h + \tan(α) x - \frac{g x^2}{2 V_0^2 \cos^2(α)} ##
You know both the initial point and the final point of the trajectory: if x=0, y=h=0.17 m and x=s=5 m, when y=0. Alpha is given, α=45°. Substitute the known data, and solve the equation for Vo.

Last edited:
Likes kaspis245

Related to What is the Velocity of a Projectile Using Kinematic Equations?

1. What is kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics in two dimensions is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves in a horizontal and vertical direction.

2. What are the basic equations used in kinematics in two dimensions?

The basic equations used in kinematics in two dimensions are the equations of motion, including the displacement equation (Δx = xf - xi), the average velocity equation (v = Δx/Δt), and the average acceleration equation (a = Δv/Δt).

3. How do you calculate the horizontal and vertical components of velocity and acceleration?

To calculate the horizontal and vertical components of velocity and acceleration, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The horizontal component of velocity is calculated using vx = v cosθ, while the vertical component is vy = v sinθ. Similarly, the horizontal component of acceleration is ax = a cosθ, and the vertical component is ay = a sinθ.

4. Can you use kinematics in two dimensions to solve real-world problems?

Yes, kinematics in two dimensions can be used to solve real-world problems such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the motion of objects in a roller coaster, or analyzing the flight path of a plane. By using the equations of motion and understanding the horizontal and vertical components of velocity and acceleration, we can accurately predict and analyze the motion of objects in two-dimensional space.

5. What are some common misconceptions about kinematics in two dimensions?

One common misconception is that objects always move in a straight line in two dimensions. In reality, objects can also move in curved paths, such as in circular motion or projectile motion. Another misconception is that acceleration is always constant in two dimensions, when in fact it can change depending on the forces acting on an object. Additionally, many people believe that the horizontal and vertical components of motion are independent of each other, but they are actually connected through the object's overall velocity and acceleration.