What is the velocity and direction of the CMB dipole?

In summary, the direction and speed of the solar system motion is given in some paper from the COBE mission, around 2002 or so. Charles Bennett was one of the authors. The direction and speed of the solar system motion is given in some paper from the COBE mission, around 2002 or so. Charles Bennett was one of the authors. The paper gave precise coordinates of the direction and speed of the solar system motion.
TrickyDicky
Does anyone know how is the direction of motion from the CMB dipole determined?
Do Earth's motion around the sun affect the direction and magnitude of the velocity as seen on observations made over many months?

Space news on Phys.org
TrickyDicky said:
Does anyone know how is the direction of motion from the CMB dipole determined?
Do Earth's motion around the sun affect the direction and magnitude of the velocity as seen on observations made over many months?

The Earth's motion about the sun is only about 30 km/second, so it makes a small effect.

The direction and speed of the solar system motion is given in some paper from the COBE mission, around 2002 or so. Charles Bennett was one of the authors. It gave precise coordinates.
What I remember is that the sun is moving in the general direction of the constellation LEO at
a speed of approximately 370-380 km/second.

Do you need to know exact coordinates of the direction, or a more accurate idea of the speed?

marcus said:
The Earth's motion about the sun is only about 30 km/second, so it makes a small effect.

The direction and speed of the solar system motion is given in some paper from the COBE mission, around 2002 or so. Charles Bennett was one of the authors. It gave precise coordinates.
What I remember is that the sun is moving in the general direction of the constellation LEO at
a speed of approximately 370-380 km/second.

Do you need to know exact coordinates of the direction, or a more accurate idea of the speed?
Thanks Marcus, I have found one post where you give the galactic coordinates direction of CMB dipole direction around 264.4º, 48.4º and a link you give in that post:http://aether.lbl.gov/www/projects/u2/ solves most of my doubts.
I'll try to find the paper from COBE mission.

Related to What is the velocity and direction of the CMB dipole?

What is the CMB dipole direction?

The CMB dipole direction refers to the direction in which the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation appears to be moving relative to Earth. This dipole pattern is caused by the motion of our galaxy through the universe.

Why is the CMB dipole direction important?

The CMB dipole direction provides important information about the structure and evolution of the universe. It allows us to measure the velocity of our galaxy and the overall expansion of the universe.

How is the CMB dipole direction measured?

The CMB dipole direction is measured by analyzing the temperature fluctuations in the CMB radiation using satellites and ground-based telescopes. These fluctuations appear as redshifts and blueshifts in the CMB spectrum.

What causes the CMB dipole direction?

The CMB dipole direction is caused by the Doppler effect, which occurs when there is relative motion between an observer and a source of radiation. In this case, the relative motion is between our galaxy and the CMB radiation.

Does the CMB dipole direction change over time?

Yes, the CMB dipole direction changes over time as our galaxy continues to move through the universe. However, the change is very small and difficult to detect, so for practical purposes, it is considered constant.