What is the vector equation for escape velocity?

In summary, Richard is looking for a vector equation for the escape velocity to use in a program he is making for a three body gravitational problem. The escape velocity can be expressed as v = sqrt(2GM/r), but it is more accurately described as "escape speed" because it is a scalar quantity. This makes it more challenging for Richard to determine the right direction for the escape velocity in his project. The direction of the escape velocity can be any direction as long as it does not intersect with the surface of the body being escaped from. The likelihood of collision with the surface depends on the distance from the body's center and the body's radius.
rich86
hi, i have been looking for a while but stillnot managed to find a vector equation for the Escape Velocity. i know the escape velocity is:

v=sqrt(2GM/r)

i would like a vector form to extend a program i am making for a three body gravitational problem

many thanks

richard

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Would it not just be [tex]\bold{v}=\frac{\sqrt{2GM}}{r}\hat{r}[/tex]?

The term "escape velocity" is a bit of a misnomer: it really should be called "escape speed" because it truly is a scalar quantity.

thanks, that helps a lot...

..but makes my project harder in finding the right direction for the escape velocity!

rich86 said:
thanks, that helps a lot...

..but makes my project harder in finding the right direction for the escape velocity!

The right direction is any direction, as long as the resulting trajectory doesn't intersect the surface of the body you are trying to escape from. Whether any given trajectory intersects the surface depends a couple of factors, The distance you are from center of the body and the radius of the body. If you are sitting right above the surface of the body you have a smaller range of possible directions that do not result in collision with the surface than you would if you started some greater distance away from the body.

Related to What is the vector equation for escape velocity?

What is escape velocity in vectors?

Escape velocity in vectors is the minimum speed that an object needs to achieve in order to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or a star. It is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude and direction.

How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the larger body.

Can escape velocity be different for different directions?

Yes, since escape velocity is a vector quantity, it will have different values for different directions. For example, the escape velocity for an object launched horizontally will be different from that of an object launched vertically.

What factors affect escape velocity?

The three main factors that affect escape velocity are the mass of the larger body, the distance from the center of the larger body, and the gravitational constant. These factors determine the strength of the gravitational pull on the object and therefore the speed needed to escape it.

Why is escape velocity important?

Escape velocity is important because it determines whether an object can escape the gravitational pull of a larger body. It is crucial for space travel and understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies. It also plays a role in the formation and behavior of galaxies and the universe as a whole.