What is the value of Ts in seconds?

In summary, Ts = 0.443s. This can be simplified from the original equation by first cancelling out the kg units, then multiplying both top and bottom by s^2, and finally taking the square root of the remaining equation. The final unit for Ts is in seconds.
DLHill

Homework Statement

Ts (subscript s) = 2∏*√(4.5*10^-2 kg / 2.0*10^3 kg/s^2)
kg = Kilograms
s = seconds
Ts = ?

Homework Equations

I do not have any relevant questions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ts = 2∏*√(4.5*10^-2 kg)/√(2.0*10^3 kg/s^2) Simplified
Ts = 6.28*[(0.212 kg)/√(44.72 kg/s^2)] Simplified
I am not sure what to do past this step. I don't think i could cancel out the kg because I would have only s^2 on the bottom. I have never seen a unit like kg/s^2, so I am confused. Does that unit even make sense? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right lines. Consider this bit..

4.5*10^-2 kg / 2.0*10^3 kg/s^2

You have kg top and bottom so they cancel giving

4.5*10^-2 / 2.0*10^3 /s^2

Then multiply top and bottom by s^2 giving

s^2 (4.5*10^-2 / 2.0*10^3)

Now put that back into your equation giving...

Ts = 2∏*√( s^2 (4.5*10^-2 / 2.0*10^3))

What does √(s^2) equal?

See the dimensions work out just fine.

Oh I think I understand now, so would Ts = 2(pi)*sqrt(0.005)s^2 = 2(pi)*0.0707s = 0.443s?

I think you have done sqrt twice by mistake.

Oh, I just saw that. Thanks. So 2(pi)*(0.005)s^2?

No now you forgot to sqrt the s^2 part

Ts= 2(pi)*(0.005)s

Related to What is the value of Ts in seconds?

1. What is the best approach to solving an AP Physics homework problem?

The best approach to solving an AP Physics homework problem is to first understand the problem and identify what is being asked. Then, use the relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and label all known and unknown quantities.

2. How do I check if my answer to an AP Physics homework problem is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use the given values and your calculated answer to see if they satisfy the given equation. Additionally, you can use units to check for consistency and make sure your answer has the correct dimensions.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on an AP Physics homework problem?

If you are stuck on an AP Physics homework problem, you can try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also consult your textbook or notes for relevant examples and practice problems. Additionally, you can seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources.

4. Are there any tips for solving AP Physics homework problems more efficiently?

Yes, there are several tips for solving AP Physics homework problems more efficiently. These include practicing regularly, understanding the underlying concepts, organizing your work and equations, and breaking down complex problems into smaller parts. It is also helpful to work through problems systematically and double-check your work.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned in AP Physics to real-life situations?

The concepts learned in AP Physics can be applied to real-life situations in various ways. For example, understanding the principles of motion can help explain how objects move in everyday life, and understanding electricity and magnetism can help understand how electronic devices work. Additionally, the problem-solving skills developed in AP Physics can be applied to many other fields and careers.