What is the value of the second term in the commutator for an N particle system?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for H and P in the relation for the commutator, which involves the potential function and the momentum operators. The first term becomes zero due to translation symmetry, as shown by the Noether Theorem. The second term is also shown to be zero through Taylor's expansion and explicit calculations for the case of N=2. This is demonstrated by showing that the terms involving partial derivatives of the potential function cancel each other out.
B4cklfip
Homework Statement
Given is the Hamiltonian H of a n particle system and it should be shown that H and P commucate, thus [H,P] = 0.
Where P is given as $$P = \sum_{n=1}^N p_n.$$
Relevant Equations
$$H = \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{p_n^2}{2m_n} +\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n,n'}^N V(|x_n-x_n'|)$$
I have insertet the equations for H and P in the relation for the commutator which gives

$$[H,P] = [\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{p_n^2}{2m_n} +\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n,n'}^N V(|x_n-x_n'|),\sum_{n=1}^N p_n]
\\ = [\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{p_n^2}{2m_n},\sum_{n=1}^N p_n]+\frac{1}{2}[\sum_{n,n'}^N V(|x_n-x_n'|),\sum_{n=1}^N p_n]$$

The first term should become zero, but what about the second term? I don't really know how to go on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential is the function of only relative coordinates. If I translate all of them simultaneously,the potencial won't change i.e it has translation symmetry. It is well known to people in physics that translation symmetry implies conservation of momentum (Noether Theorem). So, the commutator becomes zero.
If you are not satisfied(Since you didn't see Mathematics), then try Taylor's expansion of ##H(x_i+a)## around ##x_i=a## to first order.
Reference: Modern Quantum Mechanics,J.J Sakurai.

To see how it works, try writing out explicitly the expression ##\frac{1}{2} \left[ \sum_{m,n}^N V(|x_m-x_n|),\sum_{n=1}^N p_n \right]## for the case N = 2.

We have ##\frac{\partial}{\partial p_i}\sum_{n=1}^N p_n = 1## for all ##i=1,2,...,N##. If you show that the terms in ##\sum_i \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \sum_{n,n'}^N V(|x_n-x_{n'}|)## cancel each other out, then you get ## \left[\sum_{n,n'}^N V(|x_n-x_{n'}|),\sum_{n=1}^N p_n\right]=0##. You can look at the sum of the two terms ##\frac{\partial V(|x_k-x_m|)}{\partial x_k}+\frac{\partial V(|x_k-x_m|)}{\partial x_m}## for some ##k\neq m## and try to show that this is 0.

Likes Abhishek11235

Related to What is the value of the second term in the commutator for an N particle system?

What is an "N particle system commutator"?

An "N particle system commutator" refers to a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a system of N particles. It involves calculating the commutator of the position and momentum operators for each particle in the system.

How is the commutator calculated for an "N particle system"?

The commutator for an "N particle system" is calculated by taking the difference between the product of the position and momentum operators for each particle and the product of the momentum and position operators for the same particle. This process is repeated for each particle in the system.

What is the significance of the commutator in quantum mechanics?

The commutator is an essential tool in quantum mechanics as it helps determine the uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's position and momentum. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the quantum behavior of particles, such as entanglement and superposition.

How does the commutator relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The commutator is directly related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact values of a particle's position and momentum simultaneously. The commutator helps quantify the uncertainty in these measurements and shows that the more precisely we know one quantity, the less precisely we can know the other.

Can the commutator be used in systems with more than N particles?

Yes, the commutator can be used in systems with any number of particles, not just N particles. However, the calculation becomes increasingly complex as the number of particles increases, making it more challenging to obtain meaningful results.