What is the value of n in 8x^2+4x+n if the expression has real roots?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: Thanks for the explanation.In summary, if the expression 8x^2+4x+n has real roots, find the value of n.
mathdad
If the expression 8x^2+4x+n has real roots, find the value of n.

Can someone get me started? I found this question online and find it interesting.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider the general quadratic:

\(\displaystyle ax^2+bx+c\)

If this quadratic is to have real roots, then the discriminant has to be non-negative, that is:

\(\displaystyle b^2-4ac\ge0\)

What do you get when you apply this rule to the quadratic you posted?

MarkFL said:
Consider the general quadratic:

\(\displaystyle ax^2+bx+c\)

If this quadratic is to have real roots, then the discriminant has to be non-negative, that is:

\(\displaystyle b^2-4ac\ge0\)

What do you get when you apply this rule to the quadratic you posted?

Are you talking about the discriminant?

RTCNTC said:
Are you talking about the discriminant?

Yes, the discriminant is what's under the radical in the quadratic formula, and it cannot be negative if the roots ore real. :D

MarkFL said:
Yes, the discriminant is what's under the radical in the quadratic formula, and it cannot be negative if the roots ore real. :D

I plug a = 8, b = 4 and c = n into b^2 - 4ac and equate to 0, right?

RTCNTC said:
I plug a = 8, b = 4 and c = n into b^2 - 4ac and equate to 0, right?

You want to set the discriminant greater than or equal to zero, since you don't want it to be negative. If the discriminant is equal to zero, then you will have a repeated root, or a root of multiplicity 2. If the discriminant is greater than zero, then you will have two distinct roots.

To put this in graphical terms, when the discriminant is zero, then the parabola will be tangent to the $x$-axis, that is, the parabola will only touch the $x$-axis at one point. If the discriminant is greater than zero, then the parabola will cross the $x$-axis at two points, and if the discriminant is negative then the parabola will not touch the $x$-axis at all.

MarkFL said:
You want to set the discriminant greater than or equal to zero, since you don't want it to be negative. If the discriminant is equal to zero, then you will have a repeated root, or a root of multiplicity 2. If the discriminant is greater than zero, then you will have two distinct roots.

To put this in graphical terms, when the discriminant is zero, then the parabola will be tangent to the $x$-axis, that is, the parabola will only touch the $x$-axis at one point. If the discriminant is greater than zero, then the parabola will cross the $x$-axis at two points, and if the discriminant is negative then the parabola will not touch the $x$-axis at all.

I totally get it. Interesting question.

Related to What is the value of n in 8x^2+4x+n if the expression has real roots?

What is the purpose of "Find the Value of n"?

The purpose of "Find the Value of n" is to determine the numerical value of the variable n in a given equation or problem.

What is the importance of finding the value of n?

Finding the value of n is important because it allows scientists to solve equations and problems accurately, and to understand the relationship between variables in a scientific experiment or study.

What strategies can be used to find the value of n?

Some common strategies for finding the value of n include substitution, manipulation of equations, and using algebraic rules and principles.

What are some common mistakes that can be made when finding the value of n?

Some common mistakes when finding the value of n include incorrect substitution, not following the correct order of operations, and making algebraic errors.

How can I improve my skills in finding the value of n?

To improve your skills in finding the value of n, you can practice solving various types of equations and problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and review any mistakes made to better understand the process.