What is the unknown metal? (specific heat problems)

• Thread starter Ritzycat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Metal
In summary: Also, thanks for the advice.In summary, the conversation discussed the determination of the specific heat of an unknown metal in a lab experiment. The method involved recording the temperature of water in a Styrofoam cup with the metal inside until it reached a stable temperature. The equation Q=MCΔT was used to calculate the specific heat, but there were discrepancies in the data due to errors in the trials. The conversation also touched upon the importance of replicates and discussing sources of error in experiments.
Ritzycat

Homework Statement

Determine the specific heat of the unknown metal in the trial.

This is for a lab, when we put a 167.10 g piece of an unknown metal into a Styrofoam cup that had 107.93g of water in it. Recorded the temperature of the water every 30 seconds until it was the same for two trials in a row. The original temperature of the water was 23°C. (The purpose was to find what element the metal is)

Here is the table of our data. We did two other trials but in both something went horribly wrong.

seconds - °C
0 - 23.0
30 - 23.9
60 - 25.4
90 - 25.8
120 - 25.8

Homework Equations

Q=MCΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔT = 25.8°C - 23.0°C = 2.80°C

This equation is finding the specific heat of water... I think...
Q = (107.93 g)(4.184 J/g°C)(2.80°C) = 1260 J

Now, to find the unknown metal... (our teacher says the possibilities are lead, copper, iron, aluminum, zinc)

1260 J = (167.10g)(x J/g°C)(2.80°C)

1260 J / (167.10g)(2.80°C) = x J/g°C

x J/g°C = 2.69 J/g°C

If I did everything right... 2.69 J/g°C SHOULD be the specific heat value of the unknown metal (since the energy lost by the water is the energy gained by the metal, and vice versa). But none of the values on the PT for heat capacity are 2.69J/g°C.

Did I do something wrong in my calculations, am I interpreting my result wrong, or is there something really bad with my data? I'm starting to think its the latter...

This might help...
http://www2.ucdsb.on.ca/tiss/stretton/Database/Specific_Heat_Capacity_Table.html

All answers & help are appreciated.. This is due tomorrow and I'm completely stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the initial temperature of the metal you used? You used the same delta T in both expressions, this may have been your oversight which led to such a discrepancy.

Darn it! Yes, I think you got me. We did this lab a few days ago so I was having some trouble recalling the figures of the lab.

The metal was put in water, and the water was heated up until it started to boil. Then we moved the metal into the styrofoam cup and the temperature of the water was recorded every 30 seconds...
Our teacher told us to assume the temperature of the metal would be 100°C in this case since that is when the water boils...

What would be my Delta T in this situation then? The initial temp of the metal (100) and then the final temperature after it has stabilized in the water? Assuming this is so, the Delta T would be 74.2°C and it'd be

1260 J = (167.10g)(x)(74.2°C)

x = .102 J/g°C

A more viable answer but it doesn't really match up with the values for any of them. Closest is gold which is about .27 off. Is there anything else I have to do?

Yes, the final temperature is the temperature at which the system stabilized.

Everything else looks more or less okay to me but I didn't do the calculations myself so you may have an arithmetic error somewhere. Otherwise it looks like your data is just not great. In the future you should re-do trials where things have gone "horribly wrong", for this very reason. Replicates would have helped you make a decision. At this point you may want to just include a good discussion about error and such, showing that you can think about experiments and sources of error is infinitely more important (IMO) than just getting the answer.

Thanks for the response. I agree, it probably was something with the error in trial itself, I'll have to recall exactly what it was all about...

Related to What is the unknown metal? (specific heat problems)

1. What is specific heat and why is it important in identifying unknown metals?

Specific heat is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. It is important in identifying unknown metals because each metal has a unique specific heat value that can help determine its identity.

2. How is specific heat measured and calculated?

Specific heat is measured in units of Joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C). It is calculated by dividing the amount of energy (Joules) by the mass (grams) and the change in temperature (degrees Celsius).

3. What factors can affect the specific heat of a metal?

The atomic structure, mass, and composition of the metal can affect its specific heat. Additionally, the temperature and pressure at which the measurement is taken can also impact the specific heat value.

4. Can specific heat be used to identify an unknown metal with 100% accuracy?

No, specific heat can only provide a general identification of a metal. Other factors such as density, melting point, and chemical properties must also be considered for a more accurate identification.

5. How can the specific heat of an unknown metal be determined experimentally?

The specific heat of an unknown metal can be determined experimentally by measuring the mass of the metal, heating it to a known temperature, and then placing it in a known amount of water at a lower temperature. By measuring the change in temperature of the water, the specific heat of the metal can be calculated using the formula mentioned in question 2.