What is the Unknown Force Acting on a 2.8 kg Object in Upward Vertical Motion?

In summary, the problem involves a 2.8 kg object that is subjected to a constant force and starts from rest. After 1.2 seconds, it experiences a displacement of (4.2i - 3.3j) m. To determine the other force, the displacement is split into i and j components and used to calculate the total force on the object. The weight force is then subtracted to find the other force. The final calculation involves accounting for signs, specifically the y component of the force being downward.
tdusffx
can anyone help me start this problem?

Besides its weight, a 2.8 kg object is subjected to one other constant force. The object starts from rest and in 1.2s experieces a displacement of (4.2i - 3.3j) m, where the direction of j is the upward vertical direction. determine the other force

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by splitting the displacement into i and j components. Using the displacements calculate the total force on the object. Then subtract the weight force from the total force to get the 'other force'.

kk, I got...

deltaX = Vixt + 1/2at^2

4.2 = 0 1/2a(1.2)^2

a = 5.8i

deltaY = Viyt + 1/2at^2

-3.3 = 0 + 1/2a(1.2)^2

Y = -5.4j

F = 2.8kg(5.8i + 5.4j) ?

Seems roughly ok. I don't have to check your arithmetic, right? But aren't you losing signs again in the total force? Shouldn't the y component of the force be DOWN?

Last edited:
yup yup! you're right again, dick. Signs are always messing me up. Thanks again.

Related to What is the Unknown Force Acting on a 2.8 kg Object in Upward Vertical Motion?

1. What is an upward vertical force problem?

An upward vertical force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the force needed to lift an object vertically against gravity.

2. How do you solve an upward vertical force problem?

To solve an upward vertical force problem, you will need to use the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). You will also need to consider any additional forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

3. What are some common examples of upward vertical force problems?

Examples of upward vertical force problems include lifting a heavy object, jumping into the air, or riding an elevator. These situations all involve overcoming the force of gravity to move an object vertically.

4. How does the weight of an object affect the upward vertical force required to lift it?

The weight of an object, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity, directly affects the upward vertical force required to lift it. The heavier an object is, the more force will be needed to lift it vertically.

5. What other factors should be considered when solving an upward vertical force problem?

In addition to the weight of the object and any additional forces, other factors that should be considered include the angle at which the force is applied, the speed at which the object is lifted, and the distance the object needs to be lifted. These factors can impact the amount of force needed to overcome gravity and lift the object vertically.