What is the Unknown Distance in a Lens Equation Problem?

In summary, the problem involves finding the unknown variable q using the given focal length and object distance. The original p is unknown, but in this case, it can be assumed to be infinity since the light rays were parallel from a distant object. Applying the equation (1/f) = (1/p) + (1/q), the value for q can be easily calculated.
petern

Homework Statement

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/9489/physicszv8.jpg

Homework Equations

(1/f) = (1/p) + (1/q)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this but I don't know what the original P was so I can't solve for q. How can I solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The focal length is 5cm and the object distance is 100cm. You only have one unknown variable, so it should be easy to solve.

petern said:
I tried solving this but I don't know what the original P was

Hi peter!

In diagram (a), the light rays were parallel, "from a very distant object".

So the original p was infinity. :smile:

And 1/infinity = … ? :smile:

Related to What is the Unknown Distance in a Lens Equation Problem?

1. How does moving the lens of a camera affect the focus of the image?

Moving the lens of a camera changes the distance between the lens and the camera's image sensor, which in turn affects the focus of the image. Moving the lens closer to the sensor will result in a shallower depth of field, while moving the lens further away will result in a deeper depth of field.

2. Can I move the lens of my camera while taking a photo?

Yes, you can move the lens of your camera while taking a photo. This technique is called "zooming" and it allows you to adjust the focal length of the lens and change the perspective of the image. It is commonly used in photography to create different compositions and emphasize certain elements in a scene.

3. How does moving the lens of a camera affect the exposure of the image?

Moving the lens of a camera does not directly affect the exposure of the image. However, if the lens is moved closer to or further away from the subject, the amount of light entering the camera may change, resulting in a different exposure. Additionally, if the lens is moved while the camera is in manual mode, the exposure settings may need to be adjusted to compensate for the change in distance.

4. What is the difference between moving the lens and using the zoom function on a camera?

Moving the lens and using the zoom function on a camera both result in a change in the focal length and perspective of the image. However, moving the lens physically changes the position of the lens in relation to the camera's sensor, while using the zoom function electronically adjusts the focal length without physically moving the lens. Additionally, using the zoom function may result in a loss of image quality, while moving the lens does not typically have this effect.

5. Is it better to move the lens or use the zoom function when taking a photo?

The choice between moving the lens and using the zoom function when taking a photo depends on the desired outcome and the capabilities of the camera. In general, moving the lens allows for more precise control over the composition and perspective of the image, while using the zoom function may be more convenient in certain situations. It is recommended to experiment with both techniques to determine which one works best for each specific scenario.