What is the Unique Linear Functional in $M_n(\Bbb F)$ Satisfying Two Conditions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, a unique linear functional in $M_n(\Bbb F)$ is a function that maps matrices of size $n \times n$ with entries from a field $\Bbb F$ to a scalar in $\Bbb F$. It is defined as a linear mapping that preserves addition and scalar multiplication, and it is significant in various applications such as solving linear equations and determining determinants. The trace of a matrix is a special case of this functional, and it can be extended to other matrix spaces as long as they satisfy the conditions of linearity. However, the uniqueness of this functional may not hold in all matrix spaces.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $\Bbb F$ be a field. Prove that there is a unique linear functional $T : M_n(\Bbb F) \to \Bbb F$ such that

1. $T(I_n) = n$
2. $T(XY) = T(YX)$ for all $X, Y\in M_n(\Bbb F)$

What is the name for $T$?
-----

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
Let $T$ be a linear functional on $M_n(\Bbb F)$ satisfying properties $1$ and $2$. For each $I,j\in \{1,2,\ldots, n\}$, let $E_{ij}$ be the $n\times n$ matrix whose $(I,j)$-entry is $1$ and every other entry is zero. Since $E_{ab}E_{cd} = \delta_{bc}E_{ad}$, property 2 and linearity give $\delta_{bc}T(E_{ad}) = \delta_{da} T(E_{cb})$. It follows that $T(E_{ad}) = 0$ whenever $a \neq d$, and $T(E_{aa}) = T(E_{bb})$. Since $T(I_n) = n$, then $n T(E_{11}) = T(E_{11}) + T(E_{22}) + \cdots + T(E_{nn}) = T(I_n) = n$, so that $T(E_{11}) = 1$.

An arbitrary $X\in M_n(\Bbb F)$ admits an expression $X = \sum_{i,j} x_{ij} E_{ij}$ where $x_{ij}\in \Bbb R$. Linearity of $T$ and the latter observations yield $$T(X) = \sum_{i,j} x_{ij}T(E_{ij}) = \sum_i x_{ii} T(E_{ii}) = T(E_{11})\sum_i x_{ii} = T(E_{11}) \operatorname{trace}(X) = \operatorname{trace}(X)$$

Thus $T$ is the trace map, which is uniquely determined.

Related to What is the Unique Linear Functional in $M_n(\Bbb F)$ Satisfying Two Conditions?

1. What is a linear functional?

A linear functional is a mathematical function that maps elements from a vector space to the field of scalars. It is a linear transformation that preserves addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the unique linear functional in $M_n(\Bbb F)$?

The unique linear functional in $M_n(\Bbb F)$ is the trace function, which maps a square matrix to the sum of its diagonal elements. It is denoted as $tr(A)$ or $Tr(A)$.

3. What are the two conditions that the unique linear functional in $M_n(\Bbb F)$ satisfies?

The two conditions are linearity and normalization. Linearity means that the function preserves addition and scalar multiplication, while normalization means that the function maps the identity matrix to 1.

4. How is the trace function used in linear algebra?

The trace function is used to compute the trace of a matrix, which is a fundamental concept in linear algebra. It is used in various applications such as computing determinants, eigenvalues, and matrix similarity.

5. Can the trace function be extended to other vector spaces?

Yes, the trace function can be extended to other vector spaces, as long as they satisfy the two conditions of linearity and normalization. This includes infinite-dimensional vector spaces such as function spaces.