What is the uncertainty in a squared quantity?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the uncertainty in D^2, given the values of D and its uncertainty. One user provides a formula for calculating uncertainty in a power, while another suggests using the formula for multiplication instead. The correct formula is determined to be Δw = √((yΔx)² + (xΔy)²), which gives a more precise uncertainty compared to the previous formula used.
lemin_rew

Homework Statement

D= A +/-ΔA
D= 5.160 +/- 0.01 cm

D^2= 26.6 +/- 0.1 cm^2

Homework Equations

for the power rule uncertainty
:
A ((ΔA/A) + (ΔA/A) )
So then its (5.160)( (0.01/5.16)(2)) = 0.004

The Attempt at a Solution

im getting 0.004 as the absolute uncertainty but the uncertainty calculator i found online gives me 0.1 .
is my formula wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the uncertainty as a result of a power in general, let Q = xn and δx be the uncertainty in x. Then
$$\frac{\delta Q}{|Q|} = |n| \frac{\delta x}{|x|}$$
In your case the power is n = 2 and x is a positive value, so that δQ becomes:
$$\delta Q = 2 x^2 \frac{\delta x}{x} = 2 x \delta x$$
Your formula A ((ΔA/A) + (ΔA/A) ) should have been A2 ((ΔA/A) + (ΔA/A) ).

gneill said:
For the uncertainty as a result of a power in general, let Q = xn and δx be the uncertainty in x. Then
$$\frac{\delta Q}{|Q|} = |n| \frac{\delta x}{|x|}$$
In your case the power is n = 2 and x is a positive value, so that δQ becomes:
$$\delta Q = 2 x^2 \frac{\delta x}{x} = 2 x \delta x$$
Your formula A ((ΔA/A) + (ΔA/A) ) should have been A2 ((ΔA/A) + (ΔA/A) ).

oh ok. so that is what i did wrong. I got it now. THANK YOU SO MUCH.!

To make this problem simple, see D² as D * D.

Well, the rule for finding the uncertainty in multiplication is Δw = √((yΔx)² + (xΔy)²), coming from w = xy. It's the simpler similar version of the formula other user uses.

Now, you try to use that formula.

NasuSama said:
To make this problem simple, see D² as D * D.

Well, the rule for finding the uncertainty in multiplication is Δw = √((yΔx)² + (xΔy)²), coming from w = xy. It's the simpler similar version of the formula other user uses.

Now, you try to use that formula.

using this equation, gives me 0.0729, whereas the previous one i used gives me 0.1032.
so, i can conclude that Δw = √((yΔx)² + (xΔy)²) formula gives me more precise uncertainty?

Related to What is the uncertainty in a squared quantity?

1. What is the uncertainty power rule?

The uncertainty power rule is a mathematical formula used to calculate the uncertainty or error in a quantity that is raised to a power. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and measurements to determine the accuracy and precision of a result.

2. How is the uncertainty power rule calculated?

The uncertainty power rule states that the uncertainty in a quantity raised to a power is equal to the absolute value of the power multiplied by the uncertainty in the quantity. This can be represented as Δ(x^n) = |nΔx|, where Δx is the uncertainty in the quantity x.

3. Can the uncertainty power rule be applied to any power?

Yes, the uncertainty power rule can be applied to any power, whether it is a whole number, fraction, or negative exponent. The same formula applies, with the absolute value of the power being used in the calculation.

4. What is the significance of the uncertainty power rule in scientific experiments?

The uncertainty power rule is important in scientific experiments because it allows researchers to determine the precision and accuracy of their results. By calculating the uncertainty of a quantity raised to a power, scientists can better understand the reliability of their data and make informed conclusions about their findings.

5. Are there any limitations to the uncertainty power rule?

While the uncertainty power rule is a useful tool in scientific calculations, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the uncertainties in the quantity and the power are independent and that the uncertainties are small compared to the value of the quantity. In cases where these assumptions do not hold, alternative methods may need to be used to calculate uncertainty.